Review by Freedom888

"What a complete disappointment..."

When I heard about Blue Dragon, I was expecting great things from this game. With such big names like Hironobu Sakaguchi, who created the Final Fantasy game series, Nobuo Uematsu, who composed of all musical scores for Final Fantasy game series, and Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragonball, working on this game, this is the final product?

I'll break it down to you just how bad this game is:

Pretty much everything is 3D looking and almost anime-style looking here, it's not anything remarkable in terms of what the XBOX360 is capable of, but I guess since all the playable characters in this game are kids, they are aiming for a more anime-style looking graphics. It's not anything really good looking, so pretty average in the graphics department.

While most of the main characters are fully voiced, there are still many instances in the game where you have to click through texts. It may have been ok for previous generation of consoles, but this is the XBOX360, the hardware is capable of having fully voiced characters throughout the game. The music is also nothing special or memorable like the Final Fantasy games, which also makes you appreciate how some of the music actually got stuck into our heads when we played Final Fantasy.

Here's where the game completely falls apart. There's not much in this game that I can call a plot. Well, the game has 3 main characters, Shu, Kluke, and Jiro, who are already friends, they encounter a villain named Nene, and they travel through the world just to pursue this villain. Sound familiar? It's the basic Final Fantasy game formula. But the sad part here is that I've just stated the whole story in this game already, you don't get any character development or anything, you simply travel the world, eventually gain 2 more playable characters, and meet various people in various towns, saving them from suffering. Nothing more. And when you finish the game, you'll only get a sense of emptiness, as there's nothing to the ending worth mentioning.

Another disappointing department, while the fighting is something new, as you don't fight with the main characters, who are kids, you fight with their "shadows", which are monsters that arises from each characters' actual shadows. But the game's fighting system is a turn based battling system that we've used and played countless amount of times in past JRPGs. This game brings nothing new to this genre of games, which is already crowded with Final Fantasy games.

Replayability: 1/10
Unless you are an achievement completionist, you will NOT want to play through this game again. Although there are side quests, most of which are only available BEFORE finishing the game, and there's no NEW GAME+ or anything, so finishing the game is only to watch the boring ending cinematics. And to top it off, no achievement is unlock for finishing the game.

I don't know how Hironobu Sakaguchi can make such a boring RPG game, maybe this time around he doesn't have the Square team behind him for support, or maybe even the best makes mistakes, but this game is not something worth purchasing, even if you can find it for cheap. Avoid at all costs, save your money for better games.

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 10/22/13

Game Release: Blue Dragon (US, 08/28/07)