Review by alexisironman

"All these high scores are from people with low standards"

I bought Alan Wake because in the buildup it showed itself to be a total and complete rip off of an awesome late-80's T.V. show called Twin Peaks. Look it up and you will agree. I was pretty pumped when I put the game in my XBOX, and even more pumped during the opening scene where you're on a ferry, floating slowly toward the town, able to walk around and talk to people on the craft. The graphics were capturing rural Washington well, and as I looked toward Bright Falls, I couldn't wait to be unleashed upon the town for some exploration. And that my friends, was the last time I had that thought.

You then find yourself in a diner with the story telling you to go to the back. SO, what's the first rule for any decent game-explorer......do the exact opposite and go outside to look for secrets and get your bearings. As I went to do this, to my horror, I found that you couldn't go outside. Then I went to loot the diner, and found you couldn't open anything. Then I went to talk to the people, and found you only talk when you're near them and the game initiates it, not you. OH NO!

Alan Wake SUFFERS from being TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO linear. Oh my god, what this game could have been! Trust me people. As you are being ushered from area to area by the game, you will find there's literally no reason to explore anything. Why? Because at the end of the day, there's nothing you'll ever find that's worth looking for. Aside from finding BARELY hidden weapons cache's in the combat levels, these large areas are completely wasted by Remedy.

Oh yeah, the car/driving mechanics are a joke. Didn't Grand Theft Auto set the standard for driving physics wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in GTA3? Remedy, you failed on this one.

I want to be able to have complete freedom in the town of Bright Falls. I want to advance the story at my own pace. I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY A GAME ON RAILS. I want upgradeable weapons and abilities. The combat NEVER changes people. From the first battle to the last, it's the exact same.

When I play this game all I can think of is what it could have been. Standards have been set in gaming today, and this joke just isn't up to snuff.
Don't buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/24/10

Game Release: Alan Wake (US, 05/18/10)