Review by Crayonmuffin

"Understand what this game is before you play it"

Most of the low scoring reviews are players complaining that the game is too linear or the gameplay too repetitive. I've read the others about people wanting upgradable weapons and such. These are players who obviously didn't know what the game is before playing it, or they're just whiny kids who don't want to broaden their horizons with different types of games. Alan Wake is a little different but is by NO MEANS bad.

The type of game Alan Wake is has been disputed over but to me it falls into a survival horror game. That's about it. Most people expect to have an in depth RPG to immerse themselves for hours into but if you want that, buy something else. This is not a typical RPG as some would describe it.

The gameplay DOES get repetitive. But that argument doesn't really stand up considering if you play ANY game long enough it will in fact get repetitive. You basically have the same exact gameplay through the entire game. Which, if you're like me and don't mind if it has a good story, won't bother you. The gameplay is still fun and I got into it pretty easily. And, let's be honest, how cool is it to mess things up with a flashlight then blast them away? Love it.

The story and atmosphere is where this game shines the most. I didn't know much about the game until I played it but as soon as I finished the game I was instantly hooked and I hope there is another game on the way. The game is very linear but this isn't a game made for free roaming RPG lovers. It's made to scare the controller out of your hands and get you hooked on the story. And it did a good job of it in my opinion. I can't really say anything about the story without giving the plot away so you'll just have to try it yourself but believe me it's worth it.

I give Alan Wake a 9/10 because I absolutely LOVED the environment and feel of the game. It's right where I like to be. Also, because I loved the story quite a bit. This game feels like you're playing a movie, which to me isn't a bad thing. The only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is because the cut scene cinematics were rather...terrible. The normal gameplay graphics were much better than the cutscenes which doesn't make sense. Either way I recommend Alan Wake to any gamer that loves a good story.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/15/10

Game Release: Alan Wake (US, 05/18/10)