Review by Fooruman

"An extremely fun (although somewhat generic) FPS"

After getting my Xbox 360, the first game I wanted to buy was Quake 4. After I finally got it a month later (for Christmas), I was not disappointed. Here's why:

Quake 4's graphics are nothing short of astounding. The facial expressions are so realistic it's scary, and the lighting is the most realistic I've ever seen in a game. Some people have been complaining about frame-rate problems. The ONLY slowdown I've seen is in the intro movie, which has slowdowns in the PC version, too. The graphics are actually so good that they make Halo 2, Perfect Dark Zero, and other FPS games look like garbage.

Sound/Music: 8/10
The sound effects in Quake 4 are extremely realistic, and they will quickly draw you into the game, especially if you are using a surround sound system. The voice acting is very well done, and the weapon sounds are all very lifelike. The game's music is of equal quality, but sadly there are long parts of the game where you don't hear any music at all - this isn't necessarily bad, but I'm one of those people who likes to have background music at all times.

The gameplay in Quake 4 is incredibly smooth. All the buttons are where they feel like they should be, and I love the way the left and right bumpers are used to switch weapons. My only complaint in the gameplay department is that there really isn't anything original in Quake 4. It pretty much feels like the same old FPS that ID software has been rebuilding for years. That's definitely not a bad thing, but some people might not like it.

Replayability: 5/10
Quake 4 is an excellent game. However, there really isn't very much at all for replayability unless you have Xbox live. Some people will enjoy replaying the single player on different difficulty settings, but in my humble opinion the game is severely lacking here.

Overall (not an average): 8/10
Quake 4 is an incredibly fun FPS that every FPS lover should play. It doesn't really have any original new features, but the mind-numbing graphics and sound should make up for that for most gamers.

Buy or rent?
Personally, I'd advise you to buy the game unless you feel like renting it for an extended period of time. Quake 4 may not have much for replayability, but the single-player campaign is extremely difficult and somewhat long. Should you decide to rent it, make sure the rental lasts for at least a week.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/09/06