Review by Nimii

"Gears of War: Ignorance must be bliss"

Hello everyone, first review, and for one reason. The number of absolutely ridiculous complaints about Gears of War. I won't state specifics while one completely unbelievable statement said the graphics were worthy of a PSX title. Anyway, lemme give you straight facts, I haven't played a third-person shooter until this game so value my opinion based on that. Here I go.

GRAPHICS 10/10
=============

If you think you can make better graphics than this yourself, I'll laugh myself to death. Wonderful, amazing, stupendous. Most certainly the nicest looking graphics I've ever seen ( save for Elder Scrolls IV ) in a game. It sets a benchmark even PS3 will have a hard time topping. More specifically, the textures are nice, the character models are awesome, the enemy models are superb, the shiny coat of most objects with shine ( while very overstated ) are unbelievable. This game deserves this 10/10 more than any other game on the market, hands down.

GAME PLAY 9/10
=============

Ah, yes. The game play. Many people say this is where the game falters, is distraught or flat-out bad. Now, listen here you people who are Third-person shooter veterans; the only thing different is the new cover system. I say only very lightly, the cover system allows so many depth of possibilities. Next, smooth controls, responsive, never jerky, and intuitive after about twenty, thirty minutes of playing tops ( assuming you have half a brain ). Next, enemy AI. Those who say it's bad have obviously not tried Insane mode, absolute... Well, insanity! The enemies will jump out of places, flank you, fire snipers with deadly accuracy, and attack in groups. Co-op greatly lightens the repercussions of regular combat if your buddy can revive you fast.

SOUND 9/10
=============

The voice acting is believable, Hollywood caliber, and helps immerse the player in the living breathing world that is, Gears of War. However, the music is also great... But unfortunately too infrequent. Don't expect constantly rattling music to grind at your nerves when I say this, I mean just more often. Sound Effects, top notch. When I fire a gun, it sounds like I'm firing a gun, end of story.

MULTIPLAYER 9/10
=============

I'm probably spouting off because I could crush a few fellow newbs thanks to a plethora of FPS experience but if you put on random cycle, warzone, start a new server and wait for the craziness to ensue, you'll know what I'm talking about.

REPLAYABILITY 10/10
=============

Dun, dun, dun, DAH! Another play through bites the dust. Multiplayer will keep you occupied as well.

============
RENT OR... RENT?! ARE YOU CRAZY?
============

Yes yes, buy it. I don't suggest getting the collector's edition because it's really not too much mroe ( if you did buy it don't take this as an inkling of me making fun of you, I just don't think it's worth an extra ten bucks... Or is it five? Hmm... )

Yeah, to summarize...
Excellent Graphics : Great Gameplay : Awesome Sounds/Voice acting : Wonderful Multiplayer : And you'll be popping this in the ol' box for a few years to come. Happy Gaming!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/15/06