Review by Flyers235

"One word.........Outstanding"

Let me start off by saying that this review is based on the full game, not just part.

When you think next-gen gaming, you think of amazing graphics(of course), stellar gameplay, and new and interesting gimmicks as well as being able to make your own decisions. Gears of War has all of these and more. In the next few paragraphs, I will tell you my personal experience playing the amazing game.

Graphics:10

Of course the graphics are the immediate thing you think of when you hear next gen gaming. And Gears doesn't fail. Just like most of the other 360 games, the graphics are top notch. But Gears goes beyond what you have imagined in a video game. The environments are so realistic, its really shocking to say the least. The characters are so detailed, and the setting goes on and on for miles it seems. I really couldn't find one thing wrong w/ the graphics for GoW. You'll see a variety of settings that include: rain/weather, physics, and a lot more. I dont want to ruin it for you, so just remember, each level is so finely detailed, you simply CANNOT imagine it.

Gameplay:10

Really gameplay is waht matters most. And Gears doesn't dissapoint here either. The main reasoning is for the all new cover system. What you do is you go up to an object, and tap "A". Your shoulder will dive right into cover, and as long as its a concrete slab or something indestructable, your safe. Just remember, if its wood or something, it will start degrading as shots are fired on you. From there, you can aim your analog stick in a direction. Straight up, will give you the option of jumping over the object and coming out of cover. To the sides will let you either swat turn, or leap. It really is impossible to describe how perfect the cover system is. It is what really gives the gameplay a flawless application. It's perfect. The weapons just add to the gameplay experience, especially your main gun, the lancer which has a chainsaw beyonet attached. The first time you use it, you'll find yourself laughing, disgusted, and rooting it on all at the same time. It's great.

A.I.:9

Normally, A.I. isn't mentioned on its own, but in Gears of War, it really needs it's own category. The enemies are very very smart. They will take cover as well. They will know when to come out of cover, and will actually flank you if there's multiple enemies. You really have to watch yourself, this is almost like what I'd imagine a real life battlefield being like. That is until I heard one of the locust say,"reloading". Thats the only drawback in this dept. Other than that little problem, the A.I. is brilliant.

Replay Value:10

Gears' single player campaign isn't huge, but a good 10 or so hours on casual(easy). I don't own live, but the options for live is endless, so I hear. For me, it took about 12 hours, but I'm not really an "avid" gamer, so this was fine.

Audio:10

I was only using standard stereo speakers(the tv's built in speakers), and the sound is amazing. The chainsaw revving up sounds just like a real chainsaw. The growns of the locust sound great, and whats even better is when you combine the two, and use your chainsaw to rip right through your enemy, sounds like I imagine the sick act would in real life.

Difficulty:Hard

There are 2 selections to choose from when you start the game for the first time. Once you beat either casual, or hardcore(normal), you will unlock a 3rd choice: Insane. I haven't played on anything but casual yet, so can't describe the game on the higher difficulties. But even on casual, this game is hard. There are some parts where you'll find yourself saying, "wtf, what do i do?", or "how the hell am I supposed to beat this little *****". Trust me, there were parts where I was embarassed at what I was screaming. Especially because it's a video game! But it adds a level of difficulty that rewards you with so much pride and happiness when you finally do beat that part. I can recall at least 4 parts where I thought I wouldn't be able to get past, but obviously did. And let me tell you, it feels so good when you do. Don't let this fool you, sure its hard, but it just adds to the greatness of this game.

You can't really do this game justice by typing a good review, just trust me on this, go get it! This game is by far one of the best games ever created, and in my book, the best game I think I've ever played.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/20/06