Review by MrPibb23x

"The Most Polished Game I Have Ever Played"

Pibb's Opinion: Gears of War

Gears of War.

Wow.

There is really no other game like it in my entire Xbox 360 library, which is quite extensive. It combines a detailed and engrossing Single Player campaign, with the character development to boot.

Single Player Campaign:
9/10

Gears of War's single player campaign is the only campaign that I can play almost non stop for many hours without getting a tinge of boredom. As soon as you start, you are introduced to your character, Marcus Fenix, a man rotting in a monster-infested prison for god knows why. The game introduces itself to you in somewhat of a horror movie kind of way. In most ways, the game actually plays like a horror movie. The campaign brings you from the destroyed streets of Sera to the tunnels from whence the Locust sprung forth, offering you great environments in which to crush your enemies

The single player campaign also offers itself to a plethora of players. From the newbie who just bought their first shooter game, to the hardened Gears of War expert who can master a hip-fire headshot from 50 paces, everyone will find a way to make the game challenging, so the fun never ends.

After playing the game since it came out, I still find the Insane mode difficult enough to make the game fun and challenging.

Multiplayer:
10/10

There is no way that any game that I have ever played can top the multiplayer experience that Gears of War offers. Even after playing the game for 3 straight hours, and losing every single match that I play, for whatever reason, I still come back for more. Simply because the game has some unnamed element that injects the grams of fun directly into your brain stem.

While I am not saying that the online community is a collection of people that you should trust your daughter to, I am saying that despite the obvious palpable hate the lingers in every Gears game, I always have fun. And if I don't, I wasn't in a good mood to begin with.

There are endless ways to deal with any threat, and every time the said threat is dealt with you get a satisfying crunch from the enemies skull beneath your boot. While the freedom you have in the Single Player is less than other games, and the maps are admittedly small, that's what makes the game shine, not gimmicks that force players to believe they are having fun.

When you are having fun, you know it.

Warzone is your typical Team vs. Team deathmatch. 4 players per team, and a whole mess of gore. When you get hit, you go down, and have a limited amount of time for a teammate to pick you up, or you will bleed out, and die.

Execution is a never ending hail of bullets, a perfect gametype for this game's hardcore approach to action. With this gametype, when you go down, you will get back up after a while, instead of dying. And when you are down, someone cannot shoot you from across the map to kill you, like they can in Warzone. You are safe in your own little bubble, until someone comes over and kills you at near point blank range. However, if you go down to many times, you will die eventually instead of going down.

Assassination is the same thing as Warzone, with a slight twist. Each time is assigned a leader, if you kill the enemy leader, you win, if your leader dies, you lose. Makes for an interesting gametype. The only problem is, there aren't a lot of people in one match of gears. So it's basically just like regular Warzone, because in that, if someone on your team dies, you are already outnumbered 3 to 4.

Annex is a late addition to the gametypes in Gears of War. It kind of shied away from the hardcore gametype mode that Gears of War had been in until that point. It's just like King of the Hill. The only twist is, with this, once you capture the hill, you can leave it, just make sure someone else doesn't get to it, or they will break it and take it for their own. Otherwise, the rules are the same as Warzone.

Overall Gameplay:
10/10

Folks, gaming has been taking a long spiraling journey to the end. There is no denying it. Back in the day when there was no way to one-up someone else in graphics, because there were no graphics to speak of, the gameplay was all there was to make a game great.

Goldeneye for the N64 was one of the most perfect games that you could find. Hours on that game went past as minutes, and that's because the gameplay was the closest to perfection that any game had ever been.

Now, games are focusing more on graphics and gimmicks to pull in gamers. Gaming has become mainstream, and however much I wished that would happen, it sucks. Companies realize this, so they one-up each other in technology, and that's not how things are done.

Gears of War is one of the only games that has not betrayed the old ways when it come to good gameplay. This game doesn't pull you in with good graphics, which it has anyway, it pulls you in because it is a game that you can play and think, "wow, this is amazing". There is no denying the fact that this game is the smoothest "feeling" game of its time. Beyond even, another one of my favorites, Mass Effect, and beyond, yet another, Oblivion. There is no built-in lag, like with Gears of War 2. In that game, it feels as if the designers made it so that the characters you play as move abnormally slowly. They make you feel like you are walking in tar.

This game is the opposite.

The health system is my favorite. Instead of needing someone to heal you, or having to use a healthpack or anything, you just back off for a bit, and get yourself back in order, then fight some more.

Graphics:
8/10

The graphics aren't perfect, but that is because I am reviewing the game years after its release and there are games out there now that look nearly real.

However, this game's graphics are enough to make the game completely polished. The fact that you can see how long ago Dom has shaved, or even what (god forbid) Colonel Hoffman had for dinner, is enough to make me come back for more.

Replayability:

Infinite.

...and that's all I have to say about that.

Sound:
8/10

With the right equipment, this game sounds perfect. All you need is either surround sound or a decent headset and this game will sound like a million dollars.

I have surround sound at my house, and when I play Gears of War, I can hear everything I need to hear in order make for a near perfect gameplay experience.

The only problem is ambient noises. Where are they? They aren't.

I wish that , for the sake of realism, I could hear Marcus or Dom cough once in a while. There should be more little noises like this to make the game that much more inclusive. But otherwise, the sound is exactly what I would ask for in a next gen title.

Controls:
10/10

The controls are partially what make the gameplay so great.

The "A" button is your "all purpose I don't want to get shot button," as Adam Sessler from X-Play put it. When you are being shot at, all you have to do is flick the thumbstick in the direction of where you want to leap, or where you want to get on cover, and press A. It's that simple.

For more experience players, the "A" button becomes the "I want the bad man to disappear" button. You can press it once to get on cover, then another to get off, then another to get on a different piece of cover, then off, repeat ad nauseam. Welcome to the world of "wallbouncing."

Value For Your Money:
10/10

This game is well worth the $60 dollars that it would cost you if you had gotten it when it first came out. It will last you for a very long time, and is always a good fall-back game if you get bored of the newer titles.

In fact, in my opinion, you would be wasting money by not getting it.

Recap:
Replayability: 10/10
Controls: 10/10
Value For Your Money: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/09

Game Release: Gears of War (US, 11/07/06)