Review by Shado_Pharo

"GTA clone? More like GTA killer."

Sure, the Rockstar fanboys might rant on how bad this game is, but they're just sad a game finally beat the GTA series. Saints Row throws you in to the crime infested streets of Stilwater, with four gangs in the middle of a war for the possession of Stilwater, and you thrown right in to the middle of it when recruited to the Third Street Saints. Everything in this game is perfect (almost). It takes what GTA had, and pushed it to the limit, and beyond.

OK, they're not the best graphics on the 360, but they get the job done. The pretty parts are the explosion effects. Beautiful, realistic looking fire as pieces of a car fly across the screen realisticaly, thanks to the Havok physics engine. Graphics aren't the biggest part of a game, which leads us too...

Amazing. Simply amazing. Plenty of missions, a load of fun, fun minigames, and multiplayer to boot. The missions lead you through three different story arcs as your character takes down the three other gangs. Did I mention how much you can customize your character? I've seen Tony Montana, Borat, Ali G, 50 Cent, hell, I saw Super Mario! From gangster clothing, like doo rags, and low pants, to the classy suits. You can also "Pimp" your rides. From choosing a new set a rims, to a whole makeover, with new grills, hoods, paintjob, and everything. This is easily one of my favorite parts of the game.

The minigames are just plain fun. From Insurance Fraud, where you throw yourself in front of other cars using Havok's ragdoll system to make money, to "Snatch", which you guessed it, you snatch other pimp's girls. Be a Hitman, work for a Chopshop, ride in the Demolition Derby, preform in illegal street Racing, and even help a desperate soccer mom deliver her drugs to waiting customers.

The multiplayer is great as well. Gangsta Brawl, Big Ass Chains, Blinged out Ride, and even Protect tha Pimp, where your team must lead the pimp to an exit on the map, while the other team tries to kill him, and you. You build up your online avatar to show off how rich you are, even clothing your character in a fluffy pimp coat. The gameplay of Saints Row is definitely where it shines.

The music is pretty good. Classic channel, rap channel, rock channel, modern channel, unlike GTA's "Rap, Rap, Rap, and look! More rap channels!". There may be a lack of songs you'll recognise, but you'll get used to them. The voice acting is good. From a huge variety of sound clips, it's rare that you hear the same random comments twice in the same day. The voice acting on the main characters are very good, with the man who voiced the Arbiter in Halo 2 as the leader of the Saints. The sound department is good, like the rest of the game.

Story: 9.5/10

The story is great. You, a random person on the streets, witnesses a act of gang violence between the Rollerz, the Carnales, and the Vice Kings. "Wrong time, wrong place, dog." one says, raising a handgun to your head. You are saved by Julius and Troy, the leaders of the Third Street Saints. They recruit you in to their gang to help take down the other gangs, and take over Stilwater. The missions are kind of short, but they get the job done with tons of hilarious dialogue. Expect many swear words though.

Overall Score: 9/10

Buy or Rent?

Definately a buy. Between the multiplayer, the replaybility, and the Achievments, you will be hooked to this game. I hope you found my short, yet effective review informative, and I hope to see you on XBox Live soon.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/06