Review by ninjacow22

"The best zombie game ever created!"

I was anticipating this game the moment it came out. A shopping mall with zombies just sounded awesome. Even better was the fact you could use anything as a weapon. I thought that was so innovative. When the game came out I set out and got me a copy. I was not disappointed.

Graphics: 10
Wow. The visuals are excellent. Everything is very detailed and smooth. The character models are some of the best I've seen in a game. The zombies look very nice with torn flesh hanging off their bodies. The cut scenes are where the graphics really shine. The characters move as if they were real people and the frame-rate rarely ever hitches up. This game isn't the best looking game out there, but it looks damn good.

Story: 10
Frank West (a photo journalist), sets out to a small town quarantined by the military. So while in a helicopter, Frank sees what appears to be a riot. He lands on the roof of the mall and he has 72 hours to get the scoop of a life time and be on the roof before the helicopter comes back and picks him up. Unfortunately, that mall is filled top to bottom with zombies. Now the story sounds basic, but there are some very interesting plot twists along the way.

Sound: 10
The sound effects are done nicely with everything in the mall has a different sound from each other. The voice acting is very well done with only a couple cheesy lines, (it's a zombie game, what do you expect?). I was actually very surprised by the sound effects. Cutting a zombie in half makes a nasty slice sound, Blood sprays sound like showers, and a chainsaw hitting zombie flesh really sounds like, well, a chainsaw hitting flesh. The sound is very well done and adds to the experience.

Music:10
The music is very well done. During the game, it is mostly elevator music, but the music shifts to really good rock and rap music during boss fights. The cut scenes can have some catchy tunes in them also that you will have stuck in your head for days! The music was really good and if there is a soundtrack, i'm getting it!.

Game play: 9.5
Basically it's kill crap loads of zombies using almost any thing. There are guns, chainsaws, lawnmowers, stuffed bears, frying pans, pipes, weights, and way to many more to count. Using these objects are very fun and the action never gets repetitive because new enemies come in to play and you have to have strategy on how to annihilate them.

As I said, there are more than just zombies. Some shop owners will protect there goods at all costs, cultists who think the end of the world is here, escaped convicts, and even the special forces. You get bonus points for taking them out.

You also have a camera with you. Take pictures to earn prestige points which grant you upgrades in attack, stock, skills, and more. You can also earn PP by taking out convicts and psychos.

The main story progresses through case files. Case files require you to be at a certain place at a certain time. Not quite as stressful as it sounds though.

You can also rescue innocents trapped in the mall. You will get the info from Otis, one of the survivors. The innocents are very stupid and can die from zombies, who will eat them. Saving them though is worth it because you get prestige points. The survivors though, are dumber than rocks. They get caught behind walls and are killed easily. It is mostly a pain if there is more than two of them.

There are so many zombies, (53,594 to be exact), and they may be stupid during the day, (Resident Evil stupid), but they are aggressive and stronger at night, (like 28 Days Later except that they don't run as fast). Also, taking out zombies has never been this much fun.

I have heard many complaints about the save system. It is true that you can only save one slot but you can overwrite them. People complained that they wouldn't have enough time to get to a case file. I usually never save more than one slot for mostly every game I play so this wasn't a problem for me. But if it does turn into a problem, you can start over with all of your progress.

Replay: 10
The main game is short but there are about 6-7 endings, a whole bunch of achievements that unlock stuff, a lot of costumes, and much more. This game will keep you busy for awhile.

Buy or Rent: BUY!
If you have a 360 and cash, go out and pick this game up. You will be playing this game for a long time.

Overall Score: 9.9/10 (rounded to 10)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/06, Updated 07/09/08

Game Release: Dead Rising (US, 08/08/06)