Review by Coachowens

"Amazing, all around game."

This game is amazing. I picked it up for the first time a few days after it was released on my friend's recommendation and I wasn't disappointed. Dead Rising has all five things you look for in a video game: well thought out and interesting storyline, great characters, easy to understand controls, an ability-no matter how little time you get-to free roam and the ability to ignore the storyline altogether and it's challenging.

First to go more into depths of these five things. The Capcom team did a great job developing a story that has well timed twists and turns that you wouldn't suspect. The supporting characters, especially some of the story-oriented ones such as DHS agent Brad Garrison, bad guy Carlito or Carlito's sister, Isabela, are created with amazing back stories and personalities. The game's protagonist, freelance photojournalist Frank West is a character you wouldn't expect to be in this type of game, and definitely not a character you'd expect to slaughter and kick the zombie butt he ends up doing. His well timed one liners, especially the line that has become a catch phrase for nearly all of the Dead Rising fans, "I've covered wars you know." can add a few moments of humor to almost any intense scene.

The third thing that makes this game great, is the controls. Many, many new users to this game complain about the control system, but it's really not that hard to understand at all, A for jump, B as an action button, Y for calling any survivors to you, X to use your item, left analog stick to move, right analog stick to move the camera, RT to aim, LT to use Frank's camera and the left and right bumpers to switch through Frank's inventory. In the game, Frank's job is to try to find out as much as he can about the zombie outbreak, but the great thing is, this game doesn't make you do that. You can chose to follow the case files (what they call the story), go and focus on saving as many of the 45+ survivors that appear in the mall over the 6-hour, 3 in game day span, or you can just go on a crazy killing spree and massacre anything that moves. The game allows you to use almost every thing as a weapon, from signs, to toy plush cubes (which are actually a very good weapon), from chainsaws to soccer balls. It's really your choice on what to do, plus there's 6 different "endings" you can get and loads of different cut-scenes and achievements that can keep you playing for a long, long time.

Finally, Dead Rising can be a very challenging game. You start out at level one and the game even with all of it's ways to collect PP (which, when you get enough, levels you up), the game is nearly impossible to beat on your first play-through, forcing you to play again and again until you can get ending A by following the case files and then beating the subsequent Overtime mode. There's also a challenge in seeing how long you can survive in Infinity mode which you unlock by beating Overtime mode, where your health drops one bar every 100 seconds, the food is limited and everyone you see is an enemy whether they're a survivor that you can save in the main game or not.

Most people when they first play this game complain about the save system but for anyone out there, it like the controls is not a difficult thing to master. Capcom made it so there's only one save file per profile so if you mess up and then save, you'll have to start over. I personally like this system, at first it's a challenge to try to know when exactly to save but once you get the hang of it, it's really not hard at all. Another thing almost all players complain about is "having to start their game over every time they die." this is due to the "Save status and quit" option that comes on the screen when you die. While I'll admit this wasn't the greatest idea by Capcom, it's not that hard to solve either because you get a "load game" option right above the other option. The only thing I don't like about this game is the survivor A.I. Whenever you are trying to lead girls to the Security Room, most of them will go out of their way to push a zombie which can lead them into a crowd of zombies and thusly, their death. If Capcom makes a second Dead Rising, I think that is one of the only things to change, besides making it a tad bit more difficult so they could add a Co-op mode. I had to give this game 10/10. Well that's my review. Hope you enjoyed it!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/10/08

Game Release: Dead Rising (US, 08/08/06)