Review by DarkKnight0458

"This game is decent fun, but I say skip it"

I was excited when I first bought this game. I got it for $20 (A very nice price) and it came with the game and the three expansion packs, Rise Of The Zilart, Chains of Promathia, and Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Let me just say right off the bat, that to do anything in this game, even level, takes quite a while. When I say that, I mean it, it took me maybe 4 hours of solid play time to get from level 6 to 8.

Installing

Boy, was this fun. When you first put in the game you see, you need to install this bad boy. It took me ~1 hour to install Final Fantasy XI and PlayOnline Viewer, the game's opening interface which you can use to send mail to people and check updates and such, then it took maybe 20 minutes to update POV. After that I thought I was done. I booted it up, and then tried to launch FFXI. I then had a 3 HOUR patch time staring me in the face. When I saw that, I simply called it a night and went to sleep. (I bought the game at maybe 8:30 PM, and I started the patching process at 11:00 PM or so.) All in all, I guess it's not too bad considering the game has been out for approximately 4 years, so one could only really expect to have to install that many back patches. The game will take up around 5-6.5 GB's of space on your Xbox 360 hard drive, so beware and prepare.

Gameplay

The game is pretty fun when you start out. You have this whole new world open to you, and you can go wherever you want within your starting town's limits. (You do not want to go outside right away... Trust me, it's just good advice) Anyway, once you settle in, you can leave the town and start doing what you will be doing for the next 50 or so hours of the game... Grinding. Grinding, grinding, and more grinding. After 13 hours of play time, I was simply level 8 in Black Mage, just to give you an idea. The max level is 75. It's going to take you a while, not including dying (Which, past level 5, takes a hefty amount of experience from you as a death penalty). The game is pretty fun though, for the first 15 hours of so, at least for me. The battle system is just like any other MMORPG, you take turns (You and the monster you are fighting) hitting each other, and hurting one another. Whether that be through spells or melee weapons, is based on your "job", or what most people would call classes in other games. The monthly costs, as most MMO's have, is $12.95 per month, with an additional $1 per month for each new Content ID you purchase, which are basically character slots. You can cancel and reactivate and purchase Content IDs whenever you want, provided the servers are up and running.

Most people would probably say that I simply didn't give the game enough time, but the fact is, the game couldn't hold my attention long enough to make me want to continue any longer. It may be that other games just distracted me from this and I lost more and more interest as I went on, but that's another thing. There are just better games for the Xbox 360 out there besides this.

P.S. If you do end up getting this game, as I did, make sure you grab a USB keyboard or have a USB keyboard. You will need it to talk to other players, otherwise you will be left out as PS2 players with keyboards and PC players out-type you and leave you in the dust.

Score: 6/10.