Review by MafiosoBoss

"Best sandbox game you can find!"

Game Play - 10/10

The game play in The Godfather 360 is incredible. You begin the main portion of the game by making your own character, in which you join the Corleone's in an attempt to take over New York City. In the beginning you are instructed by one of the Don's most trusted Enforcer, Luca Brasi to take out a couple of goons trying to rough you up. After defeating them you are instructed to follow along with the tutorial missions which basically teach you the basic mechanics of the game. But In order to achieve total domination and respect in New York City you must use your muscle-power to extort businesses and illegal rackets owned by rival gangs as well as take down their warehouses and compounds to achieve great power within the Corleone's. To take over a business owned by a rival gang you must do everything you can to make the shop keeper accept your offer, do so by destroying merchandise, roughing up the shop keeper, or beating some one to a bloody pulp as the shop keeper watches in horror! If you go too far though, you might ruin your chance to take over a business. As you do certain story-line missions, accept hit contracts, and do favors you gain respect points in which you use to upgrade your character's stats. Doing the story-line campaign lets you climb the ladder in the Corleone's ranks. When you are promoted to a certain rank in the Corleone's you gain promotional benefits and extra respect. Also unlike the PS2/Xbox version of the game, now you have the ability to hire crew to help you extort businesses and take over illegal rackets around New York City. You may only hire a crew member that is a lower rank in the Corleone's than you, and also only one at a time.

Final thought about game play: It is by far the most non-repetitive sandbox game I have ever played. The story and plot is compelling, and taking over businesses is a "blast" every time.

Replay Value - 10/10

Well considering I rented this game a total of 4 times in just 3 months I would say this has A LOT of replay value that will find you playing the game for hours/days/weeks on end. I lost count on how many times I've completed the game and started a new character.

Graphics - 8/10

The graphics are pretty well done. Not spectacular for a 360 game though because considering you have Gears of War, Oblivion and Dead Rising the graphics look pretty much the same as the standard Xbox version. The only difference between the standard Xbox version and the 360 version is that it uses the 360's power of anti-aliasing which makes it look significantly better to a certain extent. However, most of the stuff such as textures were left untouched. Don't get me wrong though, the graphics in this game are amazing. You can see every bit and detail on Marlon Brando's third dimensional face. Plus the anti-aliasing feature of the 360 makes it look more real-time instead of being jaggy-looking like the original PS2/Xbox versions. On the PS2/Xbox versions I almost felt like putting the game down due to the uglyness and no use of anti-aliasing, but that soon changed when I played the 360 version. It still doesn't live up to a game such as Dead Rising or Saints Row. The graphics still look incredible though despite it being a port from the standard Xbox version and having a few minor tweaks to the aliasing feature. You will be amazed by the realistic life-like character models & environments that this game presents to you. I give the graphics a 8/10 because they're great but not 100% perfect for a 360 game.

Sound - 9/10

Can't really say anything about the music other than the fact that it's just your standard 40's - 50's era soundtrack from the original Godfather film. The sound effects from the gun fire are amazing, plus the car sounds and whatnot are strikingly realistic. However, the voice volume in this game is really low. If you turn your sound all the way up just to hear what the people are saying except to be surprised by how much louder the other sound effects are.

Overall Score - 10/10

This game is spectacular! If you really want to experience a fun, action-paced, third-person sandbox shooter then you should definitely give this game a try. Or if you're a big fan of the Godfather film then you should definitely get this game. I seriously rented this game a grand total of 4 times because it was so good and I am even considering buying it a second time! If you have a choice between buying the game or renting it I would say definitely buy the game because it's worth every penny out of your pocket. It has tons of replay value enough to make you want to stay up the whole night playing it. Plus the graphics, and sound are pretty cool if you actually pay any attention to that sort of thing. My Overall Score is 10/10 for a job well done. I definintely prefer this over Saints Row!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/23/07