Review by wolverinefan

"A half way decent game, just a bit short"

Gun was one of those games that I had zero interest in. I ended up renting it because of the whole 360 keeping track of played games thing. I actually came to enjoy it but didn't finish it in that rental period of one hour. Found the game for cheap and ended up buying it. Finished what I had left in a few hours. Is the game worth buying or is it just average?

Gun tells the tale of a man in the old west. After learning the ways of the gun you set out. Think of it as Grand Theft Auto in the west but limited in many ways as well. The plot itself isn't too shabby and the character development seems to be better than some of the Grand Theft Auto clones. Not great but the characters are likable and the theme is interesting enough despite my hatred for everything western related.

The graphics in the game are a small step up from the original Xbox's. These graphics won't impress but they look good enough. No jaggies or anything, no glitches that I noticed. Character models are pretty good and the environment looks good as well.

The sound in the game is actually good. Voice work is up to snuff and the music fits the game very well. Sound effects are also rather good. Not perfect but good none the less.

Control is very simple to get the hang of and I had no problems at all controlling any aspect of the game. Horse riding does take a few minutes to get the hang of but that's about it.

Gun pretty much plays like an old west version of Grand Theft Auto. There are about 20 missions spread across the game. So the plot part of it all is short lived. Besides that you get a number of side quests and the game highly recommends doing them. Side quests not only complete more of the game but they also upgrade your character so if you find yourself stuck it's best to go do those side quests.

The missions are fairly simple. Escape this, kill this guy, get to this place, follow this person, and protect this. They are the basics but it all works well into the plot line so it's okay.

What I liked is how simple it is to aim and take guys down. It isn't super easy but the aiming is nice because the sight turns red when on a guy. I find this very helpful.

The game offers a nice weapon select but it has its flaws. You get a bow, shotgun, snipe, rifle and then your pistols. The pistols have unlimited ammo which is nice. You can shoot while on a horse or while on foot. It's easy to switch weapons. The problem is that those are the only kinds of weapons but as you get further in the game you unlock new styles of that type so it's more powerful. I'm sure the gun selection back then wasn't all that anyway but a little more variety would have been nice.

What I like is that you can take on the game anyway you want. It is short but there are a lot of side quests and they do take a fair amount of time on their own but they also make the game easier. I did none of the side quests on my first play through and it took me about 4 hours, if that, to beat the game. The achievements for the game are rather good but having to beat the game on the highest difficulty seems tedious if you're skills aren't all that.

Gun is a pretty decent game and it can be found for cheap these days. There really isn't enough in this package to warrant an upgrade if you own it on another console. That being said it's a solid enough title and worth a rental or cheap buy. It's short but solid.

Story - 7/10