Review by Gamologist1

"Over G Best Flight Sim on Console At This Time"

"Over G Best Flight Sim on Console At This Time"

"Over G" is the lastest game in the Energy Air-Force Aim series from Taito and picked up here in the states by Ubi-Soft. The 1st Two appeared on the PS2 in Europe and Japan. Unfortunately, if you wanted to play the game it had to be imported. Although This is a "Sim". It is not so difficult that it cannot be enjoyed but it does have a learning curve. How bad that curve is depends on how long you've been playing Ace Combat series on Playstation and how well you adjust to more realistic physics.

Gameplay: 9.0/10
The gameplay is actually very well done and is not so complicated that you cannot focus on flying. On "Minor Missions" (Icons in Green) there is no taxing onto runway or landing requirements. It is a straight set mission destroy main targets in red/orange move to next mission. These green missions can be difficult if you choose the wrong plane. The "Tactical Missions" (Missions in Yellow) are usually more difficult but do not require taxing on to the runway or landings. "Missions in Red" ( Main missions) do allow taxing on to the runways if you choose and landing during missions for repairs or reloading of weapons(if playing on the hard/expert settings). No barrel rolls with beginner controls.

What can I say? Typical world government wants to create peace. Rogue nation wants to destroy it. Here is how we stop them. General explains why we are doing what we are doing. Here is your target. Go destroy'em. Next!!!... Blowin' stuff up is fun.

Graphics: 9.0/10
Now some will have a problem with graphics when it comes to up close and personal with the environment. Trees and buildings look great far away but up close they are not nearly as good. You know what ? I don't care because what is important is the plane models, cockpits and the smoke trail that missile leaves after launch. Every plane is recreated perfectly down to that last nut and bolt on the engine with symbols. Carrier launches even have the guy giving real hand signals for takeoff. The explosions of planes can be a little lackluster because of no real break-up of parts. Pretty much every plane you ever wanted to fly is represented from the F-14 Tomcat to the F-22 Raptor and they look fantastic !!!

Sound:8/10
It sounds like you're a real pilot. Realistic pilot chatter, explosions, missile lock-ons, launch, jet engines(all do not sound the same), and your co-pilot in the two-seater planes asking "What the hell are you doing?" Because there is a missile on our behind and I'm not panicking like him. Little wimp..

Replay: 10/10
This is where the game shines. You can not get all the planes with one play through. There is over 30 at least. Then you can play different missions with different planes and variants of weapons. Oh, there is a create a mission feature where you can create the whole scenario. Enemies: how many, what type, location. Will you have a wingman or not? You will have to play through the game at least twice in story mode to play all the missions because of branching story lines. There is enough here to keep you busy for months. You want to take on "4" Su-33's armed to the teeth while you pilot a F-16C with only 4 missiles? Make your day.

How fun it is depends on how much you like flight Sims but I got a funny feeling this game will pick up a lot of arcade players who want a little more bite on their console flight games. You really have to use strategy before and during the missions to come back in one piece. You can always play with beginner controls everything is adjustable even the red and black-outs. Now Someone release a flight stick already. Good Hunting Gargoyle... Over and Out..

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/13/06