Review by wolverinefan

"A pretty fun game, even if it feels more arcadish than before"

I was never a fan of the Armored Core series or mecha titles in general. No clue why I really played this game but I was actually surprised by it.

The plot is some futuristic war plot. I never paid attention to any of it. It was alright and there's plenty of it but I just didn't care.

Graphic wise this game has some amazing CGI. Besides that the in game graphics are a bit bland, fog is used to hide a few things but the enclosed environments look best and show more promise than the larger outdoor ones.

The sound in the game was alright. Voice work was a bit cheesy. The music is forgettable and the sound effects did nothing for me since I couldn't tell what gun I was firing based on sound.

The games control is actually easy to get the hang of. I found that locking on didn't seem to work 20% of the time and became a great burden on the heavier enemy levels. I still don't understand why there are three buttons for three different dash attacks...

I haven't played any games in this series past the original on the Playstation. It was a pretty fun game but I just remember arena combat and nothing else. This game has a plot, uses chapter and a group of missions. The missions don't all need to be beaten but you need to get to where there are only five and just do that final mission. It warns you in advance that finishing these missions completes the chapter.

The missions always seem to be just run (dash) in and blow away guys with your guns. So the missions are simple in nature but the enemy's sure can put up a decent fight.

So what's the draw with the game? What makes it so good? What makes it stick out? Well, it's the customization. You unlock new items as you play and it gets really deep and while it isn't that entire user friendly at first, it does get better after some time with it and it is needed.

The game offers that rather short single player. But within that it offers some extra challenge by adding extra missions and being able to play old missions on a harder setting. There is also on-line play but it's just player vs. player and it seems like if you're well equipped, it uses your single player character, and you can milk the entire match if you have a stun weapon and just hover shot and then stun. So the on-line is a bit uneven.

I would recommend AC4 for any fans of the series because it's a step in the right direction. However, non-fans should really just rent the title as it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm glad I played it but here's a warning. The game doesn't auto save and I lost my save because of this. No clue how or where you save at...

Story - 6/10