Review by Snake3786

"Tenchu Z: Rental VS Purchase"

If you're asking yourself whether or not you should pick this game up, the answer is yes. Whether you should PURCHASE or RENT this game is debatable.

The graphics are not going to knock you out of your socks, but they are not poor by any means. I personally think the water graphics are beautiful. But graphics alone do not make a game worth buying or bashing.

The gameplay is EXTREMELY fun for a very long time. And only gets better as you unlock more abilities and powers. However, this in itself is the Achilles' Heel of Tenchu Z. Once you unlock all the major powers and max them out, the game goes a bit bland. With abilities that strip you of your ability to make sound and make you practically invisible.. your enemies are completely powerless to stop your killing spree. This empowerment marks the true end of the game, where you no longer need to really think about what you're going to do. You just run up and silently execute your enemies (In a very stylish manner). However, after a while, your status as a Juggernaut loses its appeal. The true challenge of the game is lost, and with it, a portion of the desire to play it.

Is this game worth at least renting? YES! And if you're a casual gamer who doesn't spend a large portion of his time playing, you're going to be entertained for a VERY VERY long time. If you're an obsessed gamer like myself who pulls all nighters more often than he gets a full night's rest, you're looking at a good 40-70 of ridiculously fun gameplay. Customizing your Ninja into an golden armored assassin, or a shirtless cowboy.

However, all good things must come to and end. Eventually you will reach a point (a point I reached within a week of having the game) where everything you can possibly buy has been bought. At his point, the reward for Stealth Killing someone will be the sheer pleasure of seeing the same animation and some gold you won't be needing unless they release downloadable content. You just need to ask yourself if this will be enough reward for you so that when you get to this point you don't say "I should have rented it instead."

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/07