Review by HealaNucka

"A great game, but it did not live up to the hype."

The highly anticipated Assassin's Creed has finally hit our precious 360's and ps3's, while it is still an excellent game, it was hyped beyond belief, and honestly I was a little bit disappointed.

-Story: 7/10-
The story is good......but not great. My main complaint of the story is that the plot twist is ruined within the first five minutes. However, despite that, there are some very strong elements in the story that still keep you hooked. Without giving away too much, the main part of the story involves your character, Altair, trying to assassinate nine important people in the society. The supporting characters are fun but I felt like Altair himself could have been much more in depth with better voice acting for sure. While the story is decent enough there could have much much more. The setting is very original and Ubisoft could have taken it to a whole new level but honestly the plot twist just ruined most of it for me.

-Sound: 8/10-
The sound in this game is actually pretty good. All of the supporting characters and random people in the street have excellent voice acting which is very convincing. There is some bad however....Altair's voice actor is horrible. Seriously this guy does not get into the character. I'm very surprised Altair's voice acting was not as good as everyone else in the game. Other sound in the game such as the sword fights are still good though. Nothing groundbreaking but still pretty decent.

-Graphics: 10/10-
The graphics...are...amazing. Simply breathtaking. Definitely one of the best games to date. It is very satisfying just standing on the edge of a cliff and looking out at the massive cities. I really liked how you can move during the cut scene and change the viewpoint as well which has no effect on how the game looks. The buildings look great with decent textures. Characters faces seem pretty life like with a good amount of expression. The movements are very fluid as well. People in the city react to your presence and Altair's fighting animations are very satisfying and seamless.

-Gameplay: 8/10-
The game play is a step in a new direction as each button, a, x, y, b, are each assigned to a different body part. The head is used to look , feet to run, one arm to shank/stab/fight, and the other arm for moving people, pickpocketing ect. This does work pretty well but I thought it takes a little bit to get used to, especially the fighting. Speaking of the fighting there are a couple ways to take out your enemies, you can do a stealthy kill in which you pretty much stab someone with a short blade that comes out near your wrist, or you have your traditional sword fights. The sword fights work pretty well, you can counter attack and there are a few cool animations for kills you perform. However, it can feel a little tedious after a while and you just want to get fights over with.

The quests do seem to get somewhat repetive. You can save people, pickpocket, eavesdrop ect. Much of these quests help you receive intel on how to assassinate your primary targets which are spread out through three cities. Climbing building works very well thankfully, you can climb to the top, run on the rooftops, jump off, overall it can be fun just jumping around the city. I did experience a few frame rate drops but nothing that really affected the overall experience.

Conclusion:
Assassin's Creed is a great game which everyone should check out. While it's not what it was made out to be I had a lot of fun with it and feel its worth a buy. If you are feeling iffy it's a very very solid rental. The setting is a breath of fresh air and the overall game play and story are decent and easy to get into.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/15/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)