Review by cblevins

"Rudimentary Gameplay, excellent climbing system, and a decent combat system"

First and foremost let me point out that I had been waiting for Assassin's Creed for quite sometime, and I'm willing to bet I was not alone. By now you have probably played the game and if not are thinking about it or it's in the mail. I just want to start by saying there will be no spoilers in this review.

Gameplay 6/10

This is assassin's creed in a nutshell: Enter a city, find a Eagle Point to synchronize view by climbing up a large tower, without difficulty once you've done it one time you can do it over and over without hassle, that will open up where more points are on your main map, then once you have a handful of objectives plus optional objectives like save a citizen, or objectives needed to work on a main mission.

Working on a main mission just requires Interrogation, Pickpocketing, or Informer. How many of these you have to do is dependent upon the mission. But basically you hit 'Select' choose an
objective and it puts it on your minimap, you can open more by climbing up 1 of 12 towers in each section. You go do these interrogations, etc which don't take long and then go hit your target. That's it.

The side quests involve saving a citizen, basically some guards/soldiers are harassing a citizen and you engage the guards and kill them. Get used to hearing "I wish my sons were as brave as you..."

Graphics 8.5/10
Very great looking, however the mediocrity of the gameplay makes looking at the same things over and over brings this score down.

Story 5/10
It's hard to say why the story was given a 5/10 without any type of spoilers but lets just say that its not a purely assassination or combat game in the crusade period. And this doesn't work. I had tried to make it work for my own sake, again I wanted to like this game, but it fails miserably in trying to intertwine some odd story, which honestly I don't think anyone had any idea that
Audio 7/10

Music is decent, but you will hear the same things over and over from the crowds and citizens you save.

Overall:
I really wanted to like this game, I self-hyped the game looking forward to it and grabbing it the day it came out, but hugely disappointed. I will not be a narcissist and say 'I told you so' but Ubisoft has rarely impressed me so I had some reservations. All in all the game was a let down.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)