Review by derkus_deadeye

"Assassin's Creed - (A short review on an instant classic)"

Gameplay - 10/10
--Definitely a 10. The storyline is seriously immersive. I got lost in it and couldn't put it down... not until I knew how the story was going to end. The controls in the combat system are different, and your survival isn't based on how quickly you can press the X button. You're required to time your attacks, but the payoff for doing so is beautiful. The free-running is something you'll have to experience first-hand... its awesome.

Graphics - 9/10
--The scenery is amazing. Its truly one of the first next-gen titles on the 360. I would have dropped a 10 rating here, but some of the animations in the fight sequences left a bit to be desired. The only other problem worth mentioning is a few minor camera issues, (camera swing behind a tree, or missing a counter-kill animation because the camera is hiding behind yet another enemy). All in all, the goods outweigh the bads here.

Sound - 8/10
--Not too much, not too little... and it blends well with the style of the game.

Assassin's Creed is one of those titles that you'll freakin' love, or you'll hate it -- it all depends on what you expected to get when you popped the disc in your 360. Personally, I expected viceral sword-play tied to an immersive storyline somehow linking the future to an assassin mixed up with some Templars. Throw in some free-running... and I'm hooked. I'm not afraid to say this is the BEST game I've ever played. While its not perfect, the way in which the story is presented in unprecidented -- Ubisoft did an awesome job. I've always hated hearing people say, "...its like being inside a movie!", when they're describing a game -- but Creed is pretty close to this.

Understand, no game will ever live up to its hype. Hype sells games to those who chose not to research the product before they get in line to buy it. Also understand that no video game will be ever be perfect. Perfection would require a game to emulate reality so closely that distinguishing between the two would be too difficult.

Let's put it like this: I purchased Assassin's Creed the afternoon that it came out, and its all I played for a week. (I'm a casual-gamer as far as play time is concerned.) All the while, Halo3 was sitting on the shelf next to my 360 gathering dust. I love me some Halo, but this game blew me away. Its something you should experience yourself, I highly recommend it. Personally, I consider it to be one of the top titles on 360 at the moment, and I can't wait for installment number two.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)