Review by mslide

"Rent it, don't buy it. Very repetitive"

I must say that I was surprised on the amount of good reviews this game received. I've never written a review before but felt I must after reading some of the reviews in favor of this game. Maybe some of the reviews were written after only playing the game for an hour?

Graphics: Stunning. If you buy games solely based on their graphics, then you will love this game. It really is amazing walking around in some of the cities. Take that away, and you have a game that is not very good.

Gameplay: At first, I really liked this game. Once you play it for an hour or two, you will realize that it is the exact same thing over and over again. You are assigned a task to assassinate someone. Pickpocket, eavesdrop, interrogate, climb perches, save citizens, collect flags, assassinate your target. Rinse and repeat over and over and over again. That's the game. People who get more into the actual story may like the game better, but if the gameplay is boring to me, then it's over. The other reviews cover all the other aspects of the game well. I wasn't really impressed with the fighting system either. It's not challenging. Keep mashing x and you'll eventually kill everybody. If you die, no big deal. Just keep mashing x until you finally succeed.

Conclusion: This is one of those games that you will probably think is amazing at first, especially after seeing the intro movie (the real game is not like the intro). Rent it though. Once you've gotten far enough to assassinate your first target (a few hours maybe), you've basically seen the entire game. Unless you're the type of person who likes searching an entire kingdom to find a bunch of flags, this game has no replay value. Plus., it is so annoying when you're trying to get away from a guard and these beggars keep coming up and saying "Please... just a few coins"; and what's up with those shirtless bums that walk up to you and punch you in the face? I bought it because, like most others I'm guessing, was told it was amazing by someone who played it for about 30 minutes. I sold the game a few days after I bought it.

I have an easy test that I use to see if a game is good to me. Take all the fancy graphics away; is it still a good game? The answer is no for this one. Yes, I want my games to have amazing graphics and sound. However, it takes a lot more than that to impress me.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 12/03/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)