Review by cold_as_ice21

"The Thing About Assassins Creed Is..."

"Wow! Look at me! This is incredible!" you'll proclaim, as you leap from rooftop to rooftop like a cat on steroids. "I'm not going to make it! I'm not going to ma- Oh my God! I made it!" you'll squeal with child like excitement. Then, you'll proudly convince yourself you're having more fun than a Labrador puppy on Andrex mountain, until you look down at your hands that is. That's when it hits you. You never realised, but you've actually just been holding two buttons down and pressing forward on the analogue stick for the last ten minutes, and that's pretty much it.

Y'see, Assassin's Creed is like watching the bits on The Bourne Ultimatum where he jumps across the roof tops, but you have to press a button the whole time, and if you you let go of the button, the film stops. While it may look fantastic, there is little to no skill involved in Assassin's Creed at all. All the jumping, clinging, climbing and diving is done automatically. You just hold down two buttons to get our "Hero", Altair, into the "Free Running mode" and aim him in the general direction you want to go. Your 360 will do the rest.

Yes, the story is imaginative (although the "OMG BIG TWIST" was pretty obvious if you watch any of the trailers) and yes, the cities feel alive and exciting, but there really is just not alot to do. The combat is painfully simple, and as soon as you unlock the Counter-Attack function, it just becomes a case of waiting around for the A.I to decide to attack you before pressing the X button to counter, resulting in a 1-hit-kill-combo.

The same tasks must be repeated over and over again, and some of them make no sense what so ever.

"Altair, you are a famous assassin known throughout the lands! You can kill any man and escape any situation.... BUT! Can you collect all the flags I laid out for you?!" If I wanted to collect items under a strict time limit, I'd play the challenges on Mario (which is a great game by the way), but I don't. I'm an assassin and Goddamit I want to stab people!

Then there's the Kingdom. In infuriating patch of land between the 3 major cities, which must be traversed. That is, if you get off your horse every 3 minutes to climb a big building to update your map, so you can see where you're actually going.

There's just so much potential in Assassin's Creed, but it fails to live up to any of it. You'll have fun for a while, but ultimately not worth your hard earned cash.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/17/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (EU, 11/16/07)