Review by gameanamic

"Shank 'Em, Stab 'Em, or Break 'Em!"

What are these four things, you may ask. One, assassinating. Two, running. Three, climbing. Four, hiding. Yes these four things are very much fun. Yet, they get repetitive.. fast. In fact, I just bought a Xbox 360 yesterday along with this game, and when I played it I felt myself doing the same thing over and over within the first two hours. Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic game, but if you're in it JUST for the gameplay, you will be sadly disappointed.

Graphics [10/10]:
I rarely give out such high of a score, especially for graphics. I nearly always find a flaw in it. Yet, these graphics are so precise and so beautiful, that what minor defects it has are not in comparison to the good in it. This game has one of the best graphics in games ever, hands down. It can even be compared with Crysis for the PC, which will suck at least 5kran out of you before you can even think of putting it on a setting higher than 'LOW'. This game also has great frame rates. I was expecting some lag when in crowds, but you will never find lag. I know, I tried and failed. From running through the desert, to climbing the side of palaces, you will be constantly amazed. This game sets a standard to what all games should, and will look like in the future. Because of this game, I am going to be 110% harder on games with graphics any less than this.

Story [8/10]:
You will be very surprised when you start this game. Especially if you have no idea what it is going to be about. The story isn't anywhere in comparison with games like Half-Life 2 but it will keep you very interested. At first I thought my Xbox was broken due to I had just bought it, and the beginning cut scene was like strobe lights on speed. I do not want to spoil too much, but you will most likely be confused at first if you don't know what the story is like. There are many plot twists that will regain your attention right as you think the story is starting to flat line. Overall, it isn't a masterpiece, though you won't be disappointed.

Gameplay [6/10]:
As said at the beginning of the review, it gets very repetitive. It seems like there are only a few things you can do, and everything else is 'against the rules.' For example, if you attack a citizen your health will magically disappear. Then the guards will be on you within 15 seconds. One of the most fun things I've ever seen in a game is climbing every building you can get your grimy fingers on. Yes, a simple concept but it awesome. It's not like you climb straight up a wall like Spider Man, but you grab onto grips and ledges along the building. They definitely made it look realistic. The combat is very simple, you attack with one button... You either do slow and strong or fast and weak attacks. Of course you can block, but that requires nearly no effort. Though, most of the time you won't be fighting. It's just you can't help but feel that the gameplay is slightly shallow, and everything Ubisoft promised in the game was lacking. It's not bad, just not what everyone was hoping for.

Controls [8/10]:
The controls definitely have a learning curb. At least it did for me. Everything seems more fun because of the fairly complicated controls. Though, soon it will become second nature and very easy. They aren't anything special; it utilizes all the buttons very well, just nothing that stands out. I do not expect the controls to stand out, but with these Next-Gen games I do wish for a game, especially with this much hype, to be different. I did have a few problems controlling the camera, but nothing major. The controls are very responsive, just with a few minor bugs.

Overall [7/10]:
I was about to give it an 8, but I do not think it deserves it. The aspects that are bad are very mediocre, that bring this game down. It is a good game, you should buy it, but do not expect it to live up to the hype. This game will be though of in about a year and a half, but after that it will just be 'another game'. I am one of the few people that is neutral about this game. Most people will either love this game or hate it. If you look past its flaws it is a very good game. It would also probably received a higher score if the hype for it wasn't so high. If you are not into adventure games, or violent ones for that matter, leave this game alone.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/17/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)