Review by Hellbeans

"Far from flawless, Assassin's Creed is a much needed change of atmosphere."

Graphics - 9/10
--------------------------

I personally think the graphics are amazing, not because of detailed textures or super complex shaders, but because the feeling of the cities is incredibly immersive.

A lot of little details are there, and I still get a kick out of "synchronizing" from a high tower and watching the beautiful landscape.

Gameplay 8/10
-------------------------

I liked the combat system; it's simplicity itself.
Everyone who's ever played a 3rd person game like this will quickly become familiar with how it works, and the fights look amazing.

You'll get your satisfaction when you pull off a counter (which you'll be doing constantly) thanks to different kill animations.

The Prince of Persia climbing, jumping, and everything else inspired gameplay is great, you don't hang from air, you're always realistically attached to something, and the cohesion between yourself and the world is great.

Storyline 6/10
------------------------

The main storyline is great, but you won't understand it until the very end of the game, which is why it's a big flaw. When a game gets repetitive a good story will keep you playing and keep you immersed, but the lack of story throughout the game hurts...I did however say to myself after finishing the game (storyline-wise): "It was all worth it."

Sound 10/10
----------------------

It has been a while since I've seen so much detail put into sound, from FX, to ambience and plain orchestra-junky tasty melodies.

Almost everything you see, do, or touch, provokes a sound, even if the smallest...just terrific, and the main theme still rings in my head.

Replay Value 1/10
------------------------

I don't know what to say...there are plenty of things to do after the game is done, plenty of collecting...and some more collecting for kicks...you can save every citizen, collect every flag, scale every view point...if you stay sane after that, you're made of ice.

---Pros

Fun, engaging, solid, and satisfying.
Beautiful graphical work and landscapes, and a story that I really liked.
A break from every-day games of nowaday times, a very, very, special game.

---Cons

Framerate issues can be a hitch.
Almost non-existent storyline during the middle part of the game, the biggest chunk of it.

Final Words
-----------------

Overall, Assassin's Creed is just fun, and if you can overlook some of it's flaws, and let yourself be sucked in, you'll earn a good 20 hours of gameplay, and a yearning for a sequel.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/29/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (EU, 11/16/07)