Review by Tensaiga

"Assassin's Creed, The game that almost did."

Assassin's Creed. There's alot to say about this game. This is my first review, due to the fact that I really loved this game. The story gets you involved, sucks you in. It did for me. But there are flaws that can't be ignored, so onward...

Gameplay: Wow. This is where Assassin's Creed gets beaten with a splintery bat. The gameplay is repetitive, and tends to be highly annoying. After your first three assassinations, which really loses all it's spunk after the 1st or 2nd, you get the feeling you just want to beat the game and get it over with. You stick with the same three cities, and that kills the game. Don't get me wrong, this game has much potential, but fell short in an important aspect of the game. The awareness of guards eventually rises to a annoying mess. Walking at a normal pace could well get you caught. Riding a horse to a kingdom at a fast pace will guarantee you a pursuit. Fighting really is a button mash of X. I held RT pretty much the whole time during a fight due to the counter-kill ability, so fighting requires no effort. Even during assassination's, I found it quite impossible to quietly kill my target, they seem to have caught on before they saw me. I mean WOW. 5/10 in this area.

Plot: This is what largely inflated my rating. The plot, in many ways, is wonderful. The plot made me play on, with so many questions and confusion. I looked forward to every assassination to hear the target's dieing words, and watched as Altair (Our Protagonist) began to doubt his own actions. He grows to see things clearly, but this story is more in-depth than it comes out to be. I see the plot to be perfect in almost every way, but in the end, it isn't perfect, as it can become hard to fully understand, truly a read-between-the-lines plot.
9/10 here.

Graphics: They aren't everything, but it sre is nice for them to be good. And that is a place where Assassin's Creed doesn't completely die of failure. The game tends to be glitchy, but doesnt affect gameplay much at all. What I found confusing was the fact that there was even a button to press if it got glitchy during a scene, which means that Ubisoft knew there were glitches and didn't use time to fix them? I hav e no clue. But 8/10 is the best I can squeeze out of it.

Sound: This is a really half-half kind of thing. The annoying voices of the citizens after rescuing them is bothersome, but the voice acting for key characters was quite good. This is hard to rate personally, But I'd say 7/10.

Definetly rent this game. There's truly no replay value, except if you want to raid the scientist's computers to better understand the story. This game gets an 8/10, more or less because the plot ate me alive, making me eagerly await Assassin's Creed 2, hopefully showing a much more promising game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/23/09

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)