Review by myname123456789

"Did it live up to the hype?"

Well, I got Assassin's Creed on release, and I played the first few missions and I stopped playing. A year and a half later I decided to play it again and I could not put it down. Here is my review of Assassin's Creed.

Well, I cannot really say much without spoiling the story, but it is a little lacking. Personally, I liked the beginning, hated the middle, and loved the end. The story is basically a master assassin, named Altair that takes place in 1191 A.D. The twists are very predictable and the story is not told very well. However, this game does great with the historical part of it. They dressed like they did back in 1191 A.D. in the game, which is nice because it gives you the feel of the game. However, in the middle you might want to give up, do not give up because the ending is worth all the trouble.

The graphics in this game are beautiful and sometimes even breathtaking. There are points in the game where you have to climb towers to scout the area, and I think they are there just so you can see the beauty of this game. The lighting, the draw distances, and the level of detail are also very well done. The textures of the environment are beautiful. However, the textures of the NPCs (non-player characters) are not as great. Mostly, all of the NPCs look the same, with at most minor facial differences. Another thing that is flawed with the graphics is the physics. Blood spatters everywhere when you hit someone once, whether it is your fists, sword, etc. and the same amount of blood spatters for each weapon as well.

Well, what can I saw about the sound? The soundtrack fits very nicely with the whole historical theme. The music can really get you going at times. The voice acting, however, is not as good. The civilians/innocent all sounds the same. When you save a civilian they say the same exact thing, but there are two different scripts; one for a male and one for a female. Another minor thing I wish this game had was optional subtitles. Since this game's story relies on dialogue, almost like every other game, you need to know what the characters are saying. Sometimes I cannot understand them because they have accents.

Assassin's Creed is a story driven game; however, gameplay is what makes the game. So the first gameplay category I will go into is the combat.

Combat

Well the Combat in this game has some variety. You can do counter attacks, dodge, block, grab, and of course assassinate. Weapons that you have are your fists, long sword, short sword, the blade and throwing knives. Now when you first pick up this game, the combat feels pretty good. Rapidly tapping the X button is fun for the first few missions, but then it just gets repetitive. After you complete a few missions you unlock new abilities, such as counter attack. If you can tap the X button after dodging an attack you basically can beat every enemy in the game. All you really have to do is just wait for your enemy to attack you and just counter attack. However, when you first do a counter attack you might be impressed at the moves that your character does. This gets boring after you counter attack a thousand times. The throwing knives are over-powered, a one shot kill ranged weapon. The long sword is just a sword, nothing special. The short sword is exactly what the name is. The blade is the assassination weapon, where you walk behind someone and just assassinate them. The main weapon you will be using is the sword-sword, the blade, and the throwing knives. Another thing is that if you are facing like two or more people at once, they ill never all go at you at once, only one at a time.

Everything Else

Okay, well one of the major problems is raising attention to the guards. You could be just running around casually and a guard will attack you. If you push a guard, they chase you, if you climb a ladder, they chase you. If you are on your horse and are going too fast, they chase you. Another thing is the repetitiveness of this game. Okay well I am going to list all the "missions": pick pocket, interrogate, and informers. I could put all the missions on one hand and still have two fingers left. You do the SAME thing maybe seven or eight times.

Replay Value: 1/10

After you beat the game, there is literally nothing left to do except collect flags, go for achievements, and do the story again.

Difficulty: 2/10

This game is rather easy, but there are a few frustrating moments in the game, most of which are caused due to bad gameplay.

Buy or Rent?

If you're a fan of history I would buy this. However, this game could be completed in about 13-15 hours, not including the "extra-content." And also since this game as little to no replay value I would probably rent this.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/09

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)