Review by Steverino2

"Assassin's Creed: Worth a try, but not much replay ability"

Assassin's Creed takes place in the Dark Ages, during the crusades. You assume the role of Altair, an assassin who has been punished for missing his kill, and costing the life of a fellow assassin. You are stripped of your rank, weapons, honor, and must hunt down and kill the corrupt leaders who stand in your way. You begin your missions in a town called Masyaf, or the home of the assassins. Here, you can train yourself on new fighting tactics, report on kills, and other stuff. Actual cities make their appearance as well, like Damascus and Jerusalem.

Gameplay: 8.5/10

As you make your way toward your next kill, their are certain aspects to take into account. 1. No killing innocent people, unless is with the secret blade. 2. Climbing on buildings is worth the death penalty. Seriously. You take one step on a rooftop, and guards will shoot arrows at you.

I already stated the basic plot in the game, but how can you progress without killing? Well, this is where missions come in. These can vary, from collecting flags in return for info on your target, eavesdropping, and pickpocketing. Once you collect your needed info, you talk to a man, who gives you the OK to kill your target (This REALLY contradicts itself). Once you find your target, you kill him, and run to safety. After that, you return to Masyaf, and get your next target, and rinse and repeat.

That is the entire game in a paragraph.

Control: 7/10

In all honesty, they could have improved. Whenever I'm chasing someone, I need to sprint. This also activates your climbing abilities. So as I'm chasing someone, and I hit a wall, I immediately start climbing, and lose the target, thus making me start all over again. Also, whenever I need to turn around while I'm sprinting, Altair feels the need to make a giant circle to turn, also resulting in climbing.

Open world: 8/10

When you ride on a horse through the Kingdom, and you pass some guards, they will attack, no matter what you have done. And when you walk through a town, somebody comes up and begins begging for change, which makes you real mad, resulting in a secret blade to the chest. Problem solved. But really, whenever you bump into a guard, they scream, "KILL THE INFIDEL!!" It's as if you can't go anywhere without getting into a fight. But it gets real tedious, because as you kill one, another shows up.

Also, the over world kind of reminds me of Hyrule Field from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, if you really think about it. For one, you ride a horse, you travel to different parts of the land, and there are enemies.Maybe Ubisoft got their idea for the over world from Ocarina of Time.

Overall: It's worth a try, but is definitely not the greatest game ever.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/10

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)