Review by Nicholi Evans

"Discovering Rapture"

My only wish for the last three months has been that my 360 would make it to, and through, Bioshock without dying. My wish has been granted, and I think it was a good wish. Here's why.

The gameplay is probably the best I've ever experienced in a FPS. Left trigger = plasmid, right trigger equals gun. Switch to the next gun/plasmid in order by clicking the bumper, or hold the bumper down for instant gratification. Auto-Aim if you like, disable it if you don't. Feel like strategizing? Hack some turrets, or other goodies to aid you. Not very good at hacking, but you want to be able to do all the things hackers get to do? Gather up items that let you hack without fail. If there is some aspect of FPS that you don't normally like - the chances are good that the developers of this game have gone out of their way to facilitate you.

So the question is - why a 9? Unfortunetly if you play too long, the game begins to become...unstable. Your view will hop around, things will seem to skip/jump/lag. It hurts it just enough to warrant a point missing in my opinion.

The storyline is superb. There are more than a couple well thought out plot twists, and the characters are who they are supposed to be to a T. My personal favorite part of the plot is that it actually goes into a ridiculous amount of depth explaining things that are normally just hinted at. The way it does this is by radio messages you find. If you don't care about the plot - then move on by. If you are as intrigued as the creators hoped you would be then turn on the subtitles, because you'll want to catch every tantalizing bit.

This is one thing that people are going to call me crazy for. Maybe it's just me, but anything done in the unreal engine just feels kind of...off...
Normally this doesn't bother me, as I don't expect game to look completely realistic but all throughout the game things were trying to be scary and I just couldn't get into the feel of "These people are creepy / scary". There were a few times where the atmosphere / environments scared me, but the scary mask wearing freaks in the dark? Not really.

Throughout the game I continually noticed that the music playing was eerily appropriate. The music was good, the sound effects were dead on. The voice acting was fantastic. Literally - nothing wrong here.

Replay Value: 5/10
This game has a few things that make playing through it fun. But the fact of the matter is - I could just go to my savefile and run around doing it. If I feel like fighting a Big Daddy - I'll go fight a Big Daddy. If I feel like hearing the plot again - I'll go to the messages section, and listen to them again. If I were to play through a second time I'd know where all the items worth getting are. I'd know when to expect a turret. I'd know when someone was standing right behind me. This game is about the discovery of the fantastic world of Rapture, and once discovery is complete, not much is left.

Rent or Buy?
I'd personally recommend renting this game. As I said in Replay Value, once you've discovered it all...

Overall: 8.6/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/23/07