Review by SnerdWilliams

"Better than I expected"

Okay...when I saw the trailers for Bioshock, it didn't look too appealing to me. I know you guys are thinking "blasphemy!" You're right. I went out and rented it today. I've played a little bit of it. The only reason I'm on gamefaqs right now is because I want some cheats (if you find any, I'd love infinite ammo and EVO). I decided to write this here review.

Graphics: Well... considering I don't have too many 360 games and I've just been playing regular Xbox games, it's hard for me to give a legitimate graphics grade. The game looks pretty good to me. It's dark, but with a brightness adjustment, everything should be fine.

Story: Again, I just rented it today so I haven't played through too much of it, but, so far, it's an engaging story. The doctor that created Rapture (the name escapes me at the moment) reminds me of a deranged Walt Disney for some reason. Maybe that's what they were going for; if so, it worked.

Gameplay: My only complaint is that EVO can automattically replenish, but you have to manually heal. It just doesn't make sense. You evolve to have all of these super abilities, but he's still too dumb to know when he needs some bactine. Oh well... No one's perfect, I suppose. And it's not a big thing, I guess, because pressing "B" doesn't require a lot of calories. The battles can get rather challenging if your ammo is low, so you need to make your shots count. That's easier said than done because you can have a bunch of splicers gang up on you and you just have to fire bullets into the air and hope the stick. But that's not really a bad thing. That's just the fun of the game. The EVO powers are really cool. Setting stuff on fire = cool. For a little fun in real life, say that in a burn ward.

Sound: When I first got into the bathysphere and that little film played before I got to Rapture, the music was drowning (no pun intended) out the voice of the film. I turned the music down to 50.

Summary: The trailers don't do this game justice. You really have to play it for yourself.

I give it 8 out of 10 Pop-Tarts.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/23/07