Review by doublementh

"This game is twisted,"

Today, I picked up BioShock for my 360, because I heard it was a fantastic game. High scores and rave reviews galore. Well, let's see what this game has to offer us, shall we?

Story: In 1960, your plane crashes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and you swim for your life to any piece of land to can find. You stumble upon a building that takes you to the underwater hellhole- er, dystopia known as Rapture. Seems simple enough, no?

Graphics: 9/10. The graphics in this game are simply beautiful. Everything looks exactly as it should, right down to the smallest detail, whether it be and object or a "person." The water effects are easily the best I've ever seen in my life, easily surpassing games like Half-Life 2, or maybe even the water we've seen in the current Crysis screenshots. It really looks that good, even on a standard definition TV, like mine. The only reason that made it imperfect was that the body movement physics are really jerky when they fall or move around. However, objects seem to move just fine. Overall, this game is a treat to look at.

Sound: 10/10. The voice-acting is top-notch, and really creepy, like those "people" muttering to themselves, the radio announcements, and whatnot. The sound effects are very nice, too, like, for example, the alarm sounds. Those sound kind of creepy, actually, because it sounds more like a satanic choir than an alarm. But the thing is, it fits.

Gameplay: 7/10. No, don't get me wrong. This game is very original, (well, I never actually read any of Ayn Rand's books) and it's pretty fun shooting stuff, and using the plasmids, and other cool stuff. Plasmids are shots that rearrange your genetic coding, and give you cool powers like telekineses. And to get plasmids, you need a thing called ADAM, and you need to find Little Sisters to get it. You can either rescue them and get a little, or you can harvest them and get a ton, but they will die. The choices with them affect the game's ending.

But, you see, the stuff that this game has is SERIOUSLY twisted. Like unnecessary surgery, crematoriums, mutilated "people" trying to kill each other, and harvesting Little Sisters to get ADAM. Now, I've seen tons of violence in movies and games, but this one has the imagination of an unhealthy mental patient. The part that made me almost faint was the part where you had to enter the goddamn funeral home. It was scary enough that it was even shown in the game, but it has a register, and caskets with grieving rooms, and scary things. Virtual or not, I couldn't enter that part of the game, because it simply disturbed the living crap out of me. That's what blew the twisted content over the top. My friends don't like super twisted stuff. I don't mind, but that was something even I couldn't handle.

Buy or rent: Rent it first, and if you like it enough, buy it.

Overall: 7.9/10. This game is unique, and it should go down as one of your favorites, IF you can handle the violence.

-'menth