Review by Pouper

"Great game for both the hardcore and average gamer"

After playing through the game twice, I must say that I'm impressed. There is a lot of fun to be had in Bioshock. I am a casual gamer and very few games peak my interest. I found playing through Bioshock to be incredibly fun and engaging. I have a couple of person gripes with the game but nothing that ruins the experience. Below is a breakdown of Bioshock and full review.

Presentation - 9/10
The overall presentation of the game is nothing short of amazing. The underwater city of Rapture has been brought to life with great artwork, graphics, sound, and music. Most importantly, Rapture FEELS like a city. It feels as if this was once a wonderful, peaceful place full of people and free of Religion and moral obligations. The story, in my opinion, is told very well, and the use of audio recordings is a great way to have the player unravel what has happened down in Rapture. The use of quick flashbacks and voice overs are great storytelling techniques that are used often and immerse the player into this environment. However, the ending is disappointing. The story was amazing up until the end. There were a couple of twists and turns. Some were predictable, others were not. I wanted to learn more about what actually happened to Rapture. I wanted to learn how this city became Rapture. I wanted to learn how it was built. There are so many questions that are left unanswered and it disappoints me. Other than the ending, the presentation of Bioshock is great.

Graphics - 10/10
From the moment you crash to the moment you end the game, you will be impressed. The design team has done a fabulous job with Rapture and the inhabitants of this city. Everything is brought to live. One of my favorite parts of the game is seeing Rapture for the first time. Everyone seems to be comparing Bioshock to Gears of War in this regard. In my personal opinion, the graphics in Bioshock are better. Also, these are some of the best water animations I have ever seen in a video game. Bottom line, the game is great looking. Ensure you're using an HDTV to enjoy the full experience.

Sound - 10/10
Once again, simply amazing. Using a 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound system, the immersion factor is truly something to experience first hand. All the little sounds of Rapture are heard and you can tell this city is alive with all the different sounds you will hear. I could go into huge detail about all the different sound effects in this game but this review would be to long. Simply put, crank up your surround sound system and enjoy Rapture.

Gameplay - 10/10
The gameplay of Bioshock is easy to pick up and play. The controls are easy to get used to and you'll be killing Splicers like a pro in no time. The amount of ways to dispose of enemies is great. The use of different plasmids ensures the player has a unique way of playing the game each and every time. My personal favourites have to be Winter Freeze and Telekinesis. Freezing a Spider Splicer in his/her tracks before he/she cuts you up then blowing him/her away with the shotgun is something that still hasn't gotten old for me. Then you have your Tonics, or buffs for you MMO'ers out there. I feel this is a great way for the average gamer to enhance his/her character without getting too technical. This is a shooter. It feels and plays out like a shooter. And its fun as hell to play.

Lasting Appeal - 9/10
I've played through the game twice. I rushed the first time and beat it in about 13 hours. I was playing on easy and was simply playing through for the story elements. I wanted to finish the game so I could come online WITHOUT a spoiler staring me in the face. My second play through was on medium. I took my time. I searched almost everything. I had some fun with the Big Daddies and Boss Fights. It took about 20-22 hours to beat. I'm still going to be playing through this game a couple of more times. There are many great achievements I still need to unlock and I want to give this game a go on the hardest difficulty setting. Bioshock, in my opinion, is easily worth your $60 and will give you many hours of gaming goodness.

Closing Comments:

Overall, I think Bioshock is a great game. The storytelling is great, the game looks good, sounds amazing, and is a lot of fun to play. If you are looking for a shooter with an interesting story, look no further than Bioshock.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/24/07