Review by Ventrion366

"Don't Worry Mr. Bubbles, It's A Great Game"

Bioshock Review

Graphics-9
The graphics in this game are very well done, water looks like water, metal bends like metal, and everything is very detailed and interacts with the stellar lighting nicely. There are some minor errors such as the poor glass breaking animation(think black triangles falling apart) and some issues with the rag dolls, but they can be overlooked and don't take away from the game. So graphics get a 9 out of 10.

Sound-10
The sound is top notch. The sound acting is some of the best I have ever heard in a video game, guns sound like they would in real life, and I absolutely loved the vending machines crazy jingles and catch phrases.
Sound gets a 10 out of 10.

Story-9
I don't want to give anything away so I will just tell you that you are the sole survivor of a plane crash in the middle of the Atlantic. You must take refuge on the only land you can find, a lighthouse. You travel down and discover a man named Andrew Ryan has created a city under the sea but something has gone very, very wrong. It's a very cool idea and I like how they tried to do something different then the generic WW2 setting.
The story gets a 9 out of 10

Gameplay-8
The gameplay is good, but does have it's faults. The gameplay consists mostly of FPS elements with a little bit of item collecting and upgrading. The FPS isn't anything too special, you aim, you shoot, you reload, you find health. But what makes this game so much fun and so interesting is the need to pick up items and plasmids in order to survive in this game. Plasmids are like magic spells, you use the spell and your EVE(mana) is drained a little, then you use a EVE hypo(mana potion) to regain the lost EVE. You can also hack machines to make them fight for you and kill your enemies, although the mini game that you are required to play in order to hack something can become quite tedious. One of the bigger letdowns for me personally is the enemy AI, it has two modes, run at you or stay back and shoot, you figure out the patterns pretty quickly and soon the only hard parts of this game end up being the boss or Big Daddy fights. Speaking of hard parts, when you die you go back to a spawn point(vita-chamber) instead of having to reload. Now this isn't to bad except when the spawn point is right next to the enemy and you just keep coming back and damaging it until it's dead.
The gameplay gets a 8 out of 10

Replay/Buy or Rent-5
As far as replay is concerned you will probably only play Bioshock 2 or 3 times at the most because there are only 2 endings and maybe for achievements. As far as buying or renting is concerned, I would probably rent it for a month because your not going to be playing for that long due to lack of multiplayer.
So replay gets a 5 out of 10 and you should rent this game.

The Good
-solid FPS action
-using money to buy items
-upgrading weapons
-plasmids
-deep and involving story
-great graphics
-turrets and cameras

The Bad
-AI can be clumsy or easily exploited
-some minor graphical hiccups
-no online or multiplayer(co-op)
-poor replay and not enough content for most people to warrant a buy

My opinion-
You should play this game, it was probably one of the best single player experiences that I had ever had, and even if you don't like FPS games it probably has something for you anyway.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/24/07