Review by Gnomestone

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"

A very cool line by the infamous Andrew Ryan in my review title. But let's get to business. BioShock is definitely the biggest hyped game of August. Seeing all the videos of how YOU affect outcomes make you really want to play this game. Bioshock is made by 2k Boston, they were previously known as Irrational Games, but I guess 2k realized how good of developers they were and made them 2k Boston. Almost all of the Bioshock team worked on the System Shock games. System Shock is very famous for pulling the gamer into the experience. It doesn't matter if their names are Irrational Games or 2k Boston. What matters is they made an amazing game.

Story - 9.5/10

You crash in the middle of the ocean. You have no clue what just happened, struggling for breath, you rise to the surface. While scared out of your mind you see a huge lighthouse. That being your only hope, you rush to that lighthouse and enter. You then find a bathysphere and that's where it all begins. With an amazing opening speech by the amazing Andrew Ryan, you get your first glimpse of the large underwater utopia known as Rapture. When you first take a glimpse of Rapture you see one of the most beautiful sites you've seen in a long time. Little you know that it is the equivalent to hell inside this utopia. I will not go any further with story details. I just gave you the introduction. BioShock has an amazing story that everyone should appreciate. There are multiple endings and depending on what you do to the little sisters, you will get different outcomes. The twists are absolutely superb. The reason it didn't get a 10 in story is because it does a mediocre job of getting the story through. Think of this. I pick up a diary and am anxious to listen, all of a sudden a splicer runs by me and I have to deal with him. You really have to play the game 2 times to understand the story to the best extent. Very good plot, though.

Graphics - 9/10

While not as good as Gears of War, BioShock has amazing graphics. Next to Gears of War, this game is my favorite when it comes in terms to graphics on the Xbox 360. The water effects are so amazing that it actually makes the other affects look a bit sub-par. The water graphics are definitely the best in any game made to this date. The other effects look great too, just not as amazing as the water effects. The fire, lightning, and other crazy effects from the infamous plasmids all look great. I would like to say the blood could have been much better. It looks very cartoonish. I wish it would have took a Gears of War turn when it came to blood. But nonetheless, besides the blood effects, the graphics are amazing. One thing I noticed that the developers didn't have to do was when you kill an enemy and hit them with your wrench while they are dead, they STILL bleed. Even though the blood doesn't look like it should, it is very fun to hit a dead enemy with a wrench until it is literally all red, covered with blood. The developers did a great job with everything graphics-wise.

Gameplay - 7/10

Don't be shocked at the gameplay score because it is 100% fair. The gameplay in BioShock had so much potential because of the plasmids and weapon variations, but when you actually use them it doesn't work out all that great. Another gripe is that it takes no challenge because of the addition of Vita Chambers. These chambers revive you every time you die. Picture this. I'm going up against a tough Big Daddy and I die, but lower his health about half-way. I simply, get up and go back and kill him. I could use the wrench only to kill every Big Daddy because of the addition of Vita Chambers. In hard mode, I never wasted ammo or health items on regular enemies I just ran past them. Simple. I'm sure the developers could have used something else that actually worked. Also, if you plan on killing everything you come across, you are out of luck. It is very uneven and I find my self out of ammo all the time, even though 95% of my shots hit the enemy. This leads to major inaccuracies. This game sadly needs much work in the gameplay section.

Replay Value - 9.5/10

There is so much to do in BioShock. With multiple endings, hard to earn achievements, and just plain fun, you will be spending a lot of time with this game. The main game took me 15 hours my first play through on medium. May I remind you I did explore a lot. There are 3 difficulties, Easy, medium, and hard. Hard is pretty challenging, especially when it comes to Big Daddy's. One website reported 3 endings. I have only received 2 so far, but I am sure there is one more. You will have a great time with this game and will spend at least 50 hours on it if you like it a lot.

Story - 9.5/10
Graphics - 9/10
Gameplay - 7/10
Replay Value - 9.5/10

Overall - 9/10

BioShock is a definite buy for everyone.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/07