Review by macdadbo

"Is man not entitled to a great game? I chose...BIOSHOCK!"

Ok, granted, this is the first review that I've done. Therefore, I doubt many of you will take what I say seriously. That being said, I've been playing games since I tumbled out of the womb, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Bioshock is one of the most, if not THE most, engrossing, innovative, and entertaining games I've ever played.

Graphics- I don't know if everyone did this, but I know that my friends and I all did when we first played the game. As soon as the game itself starts, I didn't do anything. I honestly though it was still a cut-scene. The graphics are awe-inspiring in every aspect. The water falling on the screen, the physics engine, the guns, and the plasmids. All of it worked beautifully together to make a near-flawless visual experience.

Sound- I thought the sound in this game was very engrossing. The older 40's and 50's style music set to screams of horror and insanity made for a very creepy atmosphere. Also, anytime the lights went out and you were left in total darkness, you then see how beautifully done the sound is. By the way, if you happen to use a surround sound system, you'll be able to see the game's true potential with audio. Much better than other games.

Story- Now this is where the game truly shines. Yes, the story is enthralling, but let me say this. If you had no idea what the story was to this game, it wouldn't deter you for one second. The game itself it so fun, the story is just the icing on the cake. Now, when it comes to the story, it reminds me of something written by Ayn Rand. Very "world trying to be sophisticated ending up worse off than how it started." Almost like "Anthem." Take the story, add the twist at the end, and you're looking at a beautiful thing.

Gameplay- Now we've got something golden. Imagine this: you enter a room...3 enemies...you can shoot them all within a few seconds with your machine gun. You can sneak up and set up trap electric wires fired from your crossbow. You can plant proximity mines behind them, shoot once in the air, and watch them kill themselves on your traps. Or...you can have fun. You can send out a hive's worth of bees to confuse and sting them. You can flip them into the air with the strength of a tornado. You can snap your fingers and set them ablaze. You can even freeze them into a solid block, pull out a wrench, and shatter your foes. *ring ring ring* Hello? Oh, hang on. It's innovative gameplay. It is calling for you.

Now let me say this. I gave this game a 10 because there is no 9.5. The graphics will, at times, pop onto the screen when a lot is going on. You can't die, which makes the game a bit easy. There is no way to change the control scheme, which some people may not like.

For me, this game embodies everything a game should have. Innovative gameplay, amazing sound, engrossing story, and gorgeous graphics. Flawless? Almost. Good enough to be rounded up to a 10?

Yeah, I think so.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/07/07

Game Release: BioShock (US, 08/21/07)