Review by djohnson011211

"bioshock????"

Bioshock???

I love bios hock, I finished it 3 times when I owned it. My brother moved out to flordia and I gave him my copy and couple other things for his 50 inch big screen T.V. I stayed up till four in the morning countless nights.

I recently rented it again because I missed playing it and it's one of my favorite games.

It really gives you the feeling of being a god being without a death penality.
Because everyone know's god's don't die. As for the current generation of the ps3, xbox 360 and wii, gaming has been pretty underwhelming. What other game takes you underwater and explore a world with it's own nook's and crannie's. In that sense it is more original then the norm like rachet and clank part 55, metal gear solid 500, gran tourismo 6, final fantasy 30 and super Mario 256. Exaggerating? Yes I know, just making a point.

Taken on it's own merits Bioshock is a very involving, immersive, atmospheric fps.

This game is a lot more challenging then most of the forum members will lead you on to believe. It may not be as punishing as Ninja Gaiden or System Shock 2. But you will die as much as you do in Half-Life or Metroid Prime. I think that if the vita-chambers didn't keep your enemies at the same health whenever you die it would have been not been an issue and created a lot more tension. You can kill them of pure peservance if you die but you won‘t care. Not many games give you the feeling of being unstoppable.

Graphics: Water completely blows you away. Your vision gets blurred when you run through it and you get the feeling you really are wet. You eletrocute the water, no one has a chance of living. Animation is handled using the unreal engine 3 and havoc rag dolls psychics engine. The character models are sharp and very clean. The level design is very smart, every room looks different. The atmosphere is second to none. There isn't another game that floods you in a world underwater.

Music: 1960's classical blue music, creates eerie and satisfying soundtrack.

Gameplay: Never a good reason to stop playing and put the controller down. Grips onto you and hangs onto tight throughout the whole ride beginning to end. There is a couple flaws but there pretty minor since all the best games have them, Half-Life 2 didn't but it did have a couple moments of bad pacing and wtf moments.(a couple backtracking item collecting task and an escort mission at the end. It's more polished then most games that came out in recent memory though. The only game that was arguably more enjoyable is God of War 2. The game doesn't have any multiplayer but I don't care about that. The game has more then enough reason to come back and play if only to toy around with the tonics and abilities that you didn't use much the last time. Use your imagination and it's as good as it gets.

Replay Value: Yes, Halo 3 is the most feature packed game out on the market but I still rather play a original property like bioshock a million times over because it's a unique flavor that needs to be exposed more often. Yes you can see pretty much all the enemies your going to see half way through the game but it's no different then shooting the soldiers in an army game that only change according to what weapons there carying(like sniper rifle army man, gernade launcher, pistol army man). This is an outstanding game and deserves to be played by anyone that considers themselves a gamer.

It's game of the year even though it could of used some engrossing boss fights.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/05/07

Game Release: BioShock (US, 08/21/07)