Review by Booji_Boy93

"Been there, done it already."

That's right, if you've played System Shock, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, or even Oblivion, I doubt you will find anything here revolutionary. The storyline is the main draw, so any gamers looking for an action FPS will likely be as disappointed as I was. True, there are many cool moments in the game, but they are scripted and never of your own doing. And, while the locations vary a bit, the lack of enemy variety stifles things.

You'll acquire the same weapon set as in any FPS (shotgun, pistol, grenade launcher, etc.) and also get 'plasmids' which are basically another name for 'spells'. However, the combat is sloppy. If the developers had incorporated the RPG elements and storyline, with tight controls and combat balance like Halo, this could have been the best game ever made. As far as shooters go, it is very repetitive and dull, and I could recommend a dozen other FPS games over this.

If you're looking for an immersive world with great storyline, this could be right up your alley, but again you would be better off playing Oblivion or Half-Life 2. I felt the storyline was predictable, and the ending(s) hokey. I wouldn't say it's a "bad" game, but merely being competent does not make it GOTY material.

The graphics are decent, but there are much better on the market. I had a hard time telling the "slicers" apart from each other. Of ten the only difference between enemies is the weapon they carry. The environments are done well, it's the animations and character models that seemed to have been rushed. Ammunition and health is plentiful on even the hardest difficulty, reinforcing the feeling that the developers just want to tell you a story and combat gameplay is just sort of there to keep you busy in between.

I will give it credit for being a somewhat decent length in terms of gameplay. Expect to get about 10 hours in on your first play through. Second time around will be much shorter, as the game is very linear.

If you're like me, and prefer action over story development then make this a rental before you buy. If you love a good story with some combat tacked on and RPG elements, then I highly recommend this game to you. Just remember that the 360 was suffering from a long drought of quality games, and this was hyped up months in advance of release. A decent, but dull, game in a field of crappy competition is not what makes a game of the year.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: BioShock (US, 08/21/07)