Review by metalgear-s

"Major disappointment"

Almost everyone loves Bioshock, and the critics said that it has the honour of being the best of 2007. I really don't know what the big deal was about this game. Most people will think I'm not entirely sane for saying this, but I didn't really enjoy this game much. I'll try to explain it to you.

Story-- there isn't much of a story. Some guy is in a plane and it mysteriously crashes in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. You swim to a lone lighthouse in the middle of the ocean. You go down an underwater elevator and are soon thrust into the horrifying underwater city of Rapture. There are crazy people called Splicers who try to kill you. Someone named Atlas is trapped in the middle of Rapture and guides you along the way, with others as well. The voice acting is well done, but you have to collect items and research Splicers to get the full story, which I don't really care to do. I think the story is way too basic and actually quite bad.

Graphics-- I'll admit that this game has some of the best graphics this generation. The water in this game looks great. Some of the models look mildly deformed and kind of freakish. The environments look good but also look the same throughout the entire game. The lighting is good, but can be too dark in some places. Unfortunately there isn't much enemy variety. Overall, the graphics are great and are the best part about this game.

Gameplay-- The gameplay just doesn't appeal to me at all. Throughout the game there is a decent amount of weapons to use, such as a shotgun, a pistol, a thompson machine gun and wrench. After a while there are vending machines that will appear throughout the game that can be hacked using a frustrating mini-game challenge. Or you can buy special powers, such as lightning, fire, and so on. I don't really like most of the powers, since they could've added more variety. The combat becomes repetitive and more frustrating throughout the game. The enemies take too long to kill, especially "big daddies." There are little girls that are called "little sisters" that you'll either harvest or rescue, depending on what you choose. They're always guarded by a big daddy, which is what's on the front cover of this game. They have drills that can drill into people, and they are the hardest enemies to fight throughout the game. The gameplay and combat get repetitive really fast, preventing you from having much fun.

Story: 3/10-- way too basic; there isn't really much to it.

Graphics: 9/10-- the best part of this game. The water almost looks real, but the environments look the same and some of the models can use some work.

Gameplay: 3/10-- really bad. The combat isn't really well done, as it does get boring and frustrating throughout the game.

Final Thoughts: At best, this is an average shooter. At worst, it's a frustrating, boring, and has a lame storyline. I don't know why people bother giving this game such high scores. There are much better shooters out there, such as Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War, to name a few. I already know what most people think, but to me, this is nowhere near being the best game of 2007.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 10/27/08

Game Release: BioShock (EU, 08/24/07)