Review by beckonthemoon

"In the depth of the abyss, you will not know how to run away"

When Aldous Huxley wrote "A Brave New World", or Ray Bradbury's "1984", they envisioned a wasteland that once resembled our lives and homes. Our very noticeable traits such as honesty and compelling features were shoved aside by humans own avarice. In Bioshock, however, it's not that simple. You're not just running from what man has done to the orld, but what man has done to himself. And for this reason, chaos will envelope, destroy you, and test your morality. No one is safe in Rapture, but you're one of the only good guys. So you're most assurdly not safe.

Let's start with the plot. Ok, so let's pretend you had a really good idea. And in the midst of your 40 million dollar good idea you discover your idea is being destroyed by the people your idea is helping. Sound confusing? Well Bioshock explains it better, but that's the jist. A civil war has left the underwater city of Rapture in ruin, and you seem to be the only guy in it right now who hasn't flipped his lid. Every detail of the story is painfully placed to make it stream line into one giant, beautifully depicted thought. This, in it's most vigilant state, will make you cringe in disgust when you discover what you can and can't do with the little girls in Rapture. The splicers (who are tormented souls of Rapture whose origins I'll leave for you to discover) are viruses. They talk to themselves as they slowly move around you, and reveal clues about themselves by doing this. Their very rude, that's the best way to put it.

Next is the game play. This is where I took off that point, keeping it from 10/10. I feel the plasmids, which are genetics alterations to change your attacks, should all serve a very good purpose. Most do, but alot don't. And alot of the ones that do you have to download. One plasmid, bought in the fishery area, has a purpose to this day I haven't been able to dissect, other then taking up space in your inventory and costing a hand full of coin. However, the weapons are to die for. Who'd have thought a wrench would hurt so bad, but trust me, it really does. And you can increase the power of your weapons with tonics, so you're only gonna have like 5 or 6 weapons the whole game, but that's all you need in conjunction with the plasmids that are worth something.

Now, this should be said. The following is entirely my opinion. I'm saying this is how I feel. The level of boss fights almost got this gae knocked down a notch or two. This game is set in such an epic world, but there's 4 total boss fights that are considered significant. So why didn't I know it down? The Big Daddies. They are a boss fight on their own. Very hard to hurt, very difficult to fight. There are two types, the Bouncer and the Rosie. Bouncers run (they have the drill arm) and Rosies shoot you while slowly moving in. These fights are absolutely chaotic, and very, very well done. They move fluidly, taking you to the cleaners if your not fast enough. They redeemed that extra point.

So yes. If you've ever wondered how you'd survive in the madness of a place like Rapture, get this game. If you haven't, get this game. It is brilliantly done, and we should all be so lucky as to play number 2 when it's released later this year.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/17/09, Updated 08/17/09

Game Release: BioShock (US, 08/21/07)