Review by therandomguy393

"Never has gardening been so fun!"

Never has gardening been so fun!

Viva Pinata, quite a different game. Viewed as "kiddy" by some, but let me tell you, although the game has a certain "child appeal", it is just as fun for adults and teenagers alike. Your goal is, make a garden, attract wild pinata to live in it, and...do more of that. But although it seems simple, it is anything but that. Anyway, on with the review...

Story- 9/10

I do not think that there really is a story in this game. There are a few stories about characters, including the missing Stardos, and after you gain a few levels, a storybook is opened up, with a new chapter being unlocked every now and again.

Gameplay- 9/10

Like I said in the opening paragraph, this game is VERY different from others. It could be called a sim, a strategy, many things. Your goal is, become the ultimate gardener on Pinata Island, by attracting wild pinata to your garden, building them a house, breeding them, selling them off/ keeping them, customizing them, Laughing once you see a football playing sparrow or a gangster zebra. You can also become a better gardener by finding, growing, and fertilising plants, although the main focus is on the pinata. Sound simple, and it is, to some extent. As you become a better gardener, more difficult to get pinata come to your garden, and you get your "baddies", the sour pinatas, which destroy your garden, attack your pinatas. Another set of baddies, the Ruffians, destroy your pinata housing and your valuable pinata. It's always annoying when you lose you favourite duck. The concept of this game is truly Rare(See what I did there? No? Hmm...).

Graphics- 10/10

The game uses the full power of the Xbox 360, with vibrant animals, colourful gardens, shimmering ponds. Some people feel the need to mark it down here, because it doesn't quite stand up to the likes of SOME other games. I didn't do that, because we're talking about flaws in THIS game, not the lack of flaws in other games.

Sound- 8/10

The sound is great, put simply. Each pinata has a unique sound, and the menu music sounds great at first, but after a while, it gets repetitive and annoying.

Controls- 9/10

Controls are simple to master, about a half an hour learning curve. I would recommend that you use the "Advanced" control style, as this is much easier to use, though slightly harder to master.

Replayability- 9/10

You can play the game over and over and over again. You might feel the need to start a new garden, or have several different themed gardens. It takes ages to truly "complete" the game, because of several different aspects of pinatas and plants. As I write this review, I am only Level 70 out of 108, and I've had the game for quite a while now.

Anyway, kudos, Rare. You turned a daunting household task into an amazing game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/23/07