Review by sauron_tg

"Is Being Bad Really Good"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers a little game called dungeon. The premise was an RTS where you mined out an evil empire and killed good guys. Overlord seems to have the same basic premise. Evil is good (and sometimes quite funny) and the "good" guys are more evil than you. The game itself is a unique concept an it was well.

Game-play 7/10
Very fun. The minions are usually pretty smart about figuring out what you want. The quests are pretty standard, ranging from typical "Kill these" to "recover that". At times, it can feel repetitive: Simply go into an area and let you minions loose, killing any stray enemy near you. However, you soon learn that while this strategy may seem effective, there are finer strategy points to keeping you minions alive. You can also customize your Dark Tower, though it seems to be pure cosmetic. The thing that irked me is that you can't sit on your own throne.

Graphics 9/10
A truly beautiful game. While the whole game has a comical "cartoony" essence, the game still wows. I have the 360 version but played the PC demo. I would only recommend getting the PC version if you can play it smoothly on full graphics.

Controls 5.5/10
After a while, it gets old. Not much to do except move your guy, and move your minions. Also, no camera control is annoying.

Replay Value 8/10
Of course I've yet to beat it, but once I do, I'll definitely play it again. I don't know if you can, but it'd be nice to be able to replay the game with all the stuff you got your first time through.

Overall 7/10
Fun overall, even if evil isn't your game. It has it's ups and downs, but then, no game is truly perfect. The game has many allusions to other fantasy realms, especially Lord of the rings. Example: The village of Spree (a thinly veiled reference to Bree) is under the rule of a halfling (hobbbit) named Melvin Underbelly (Frodo's pseudonym was Underhill) who was declared a hero after he went on an adventure (a la Bilbo). Fans of the LotR trilogy will garner a lot of humor from this game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/28/07