Review by wolverinefan

"A sleeper hit?"

Overlord is one of those games that slipped under everyone's radar. I had never heard of it until the demo hit Xbox Live and like a week later it was in stores. I never even heard the name before that day. Well I rented the game and I must say that maybe this will be the first sleeper title for the Xbox 360. Is it worth buying at $60 though? Read on!

You're an overlord. You're evil and all good guys must be defeated. First though you need to rebuild your tower with the help of your minions. I won't go any further into the plot because it really doesn't have much of a plot. My problem with the plot though is that you're supposed to be evil yet you go around helping people. Just seems stupid really.

Graphic wise this game isn't half bad. Character models aren't too shabby and the world itself looks good. The first big mission of getting the food back has some very nice visuals and lots of stuff to break. It's actually a rather eye pleasing game.

Sound wise this game is a bit corny. It never takes itself seriously. Voice work is slightly amusing. I honestly can't remember the music at all. The sound effects were pretty good. Shouts and yells, things shatter nicely. Just typical stuff though.

The game has very simple control. Move yourself around with the left stick and move your minions with the right stick. Very easy and you can call them to you and send them to areas or to do a task. Very user friendly and I had no problems at all.

The game starts off simple enough. You can kill enemies or sheep to harvest matter. This matter is sued for spawning new demons to control. At first you can only have five demons but as you advance in the game you gain the ability to summon more.

From there you set out into the world. Freeing villagers and taking their quests like find food or even your own quests like find a part to the tower or find the fire demons. What's interesting is once you complete the first big area a whole lot opens for you to explore which is nice.

The problem is that the game really doesn't change any more. You send demons to fight guys. If any dies you just go and make more. You never really need to enter the battle field yourself as you'll quickly be slaughter even if the enemy is half your size and your tiny demons are way more powerful than yourself.

And there lies the problem. It's a bit boring to do the same thing over and over. Sure, it's cool at first and the areas do expand but you really need to stick to the way the game wants you to play and with such evil tasks as find the villager their stolen food you just know your evil reign isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The game itself is of average length. Nothing overly special. The achievements do add a bit to the game but it really isn't enough to make this any more than a rental.

While I may have had some fun with overlord the little flaws really bring it down. To be honest you're just not truly evil. The games mission structure is nice that you can have so many quests going but you really need to do them in an order of sorts, I would recommend renting this. It has a mild enjoyment factor but don't go in expecting a whole lot and you may be surprised. This just might have sleeper hit written all over it, even if it has some of those minor flaws.

Story - 6/10