Review by wolverinefan

"One of the better DDR games to hit consoles"

I really enjoy DDR. That being said I wasn't expecting much from Universe because the past few DDR games haven't been that good. That being said for the die hard DDR fans, look else where because this isn't going to be something you like. For the casual fan of the series, this game has been very Americanized.

The game actually has a story mode. Travel across the country and play in competitions. You gain back up dancers, videos and new songs. It's an interesting idea but I just couldn't get into it since the plot line itself is so shallow. But it is a story at least.

Graphic wise the game took me a bit to get use to. On a standard TV the game looks smashed together. The arrows are smaller than you would think.

This being a music game the sound is very important. Sound effects don't really happen in the game. The voice work is no longer the man but some perky girl. The music selection this time is varied only by American genres and the selection of original Japanese songs in this game are limited to maybe 10. I was a little put off at first but I must admit the song selection is much more solid this time around.

Control in the game is very smooth, if you use the dance pad. However, if you're using the 360's controller then you may run into problems from the horrible D-pad so beware if you're not buying the game with the pad.

The game play is pretty much the same as always. The arrows scroll up and you hit them when they reach the arrow mark. Very simple but I must admit that on basic mode the speed of the songs and amount of arrows felt way more natural than in any other console DDR game to date. I rarely found a song that was just too slow and the beat and arrow speed seem really matched up this time around.

Really the game play doesn't vary past that. We do have a number of modes from just game mode which allows you to play with 1 or 2 pads, even as a one player. I found that to be a nice touch. Besides that we have a new career mode which is decent. You travel from state to state and doing dancing stages. They may require you to build a fan base, get 70+ combos, do 20 jumps in a stage and they do vary but not enough. You can win new songs and stuff in this mode.

The coolest new feature is the on-line play. Not sure if it was in the old Xbox versions but it's new for me. That being said not a soul was ever on line when I was. So I never got to try it out. This would be normal for an older game but it's only a month or so old.

So the replay value is actually kind of high with over 60 songs and promises for new downloadable songs as well. It also has the work out mode which I will admit to using.

I'm actually going to buy this entry over Supernova because from what I've seen Supernova on the PS2 just doesn't have a soundtrack that I like and this one seems much more solid. Casual fans may enjoy it more than the regular ones because of the song selection. It's solid all around though.

Story - 6/10