Review by dizzyjay2

"A Brand New Standard Has Been Set"

Every once in awhile, a game isn't just a game, but a full on experience. Grand Theft Auto IV is just that, it is so detailed and impressive that it needs to be played, and not just read about. It feels more like a movie sometimes than a game, GTA IV is a knockout that Muhammad Ali would be jealous of.

Amazing really, car accidents are realistic, the sound effects are very realistic. I think the best new feature is the animation for when your car gets shot. Each bullet creates an individual hole in the car, when you shoot the class it breaks. Everything looks great, and the loading times are minimal.

The game play is terrific, and deeper than you could ever imagine comparing it with any previous game you have played. The dating world is the most improved so I will start there. In Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, dating was extremely corny and not that interesting. However, now dating is fun and actually something to look forward to. You can attend a number of things from Comedy Clubs featuring real comedians, a variety show type place, strip clubs and more. The real and lengthy conversation also makes it seem extremely realistic, and this is throughout the whole game, characters will talk your ear off. Even random people on the street will yell at you for bumping into them, have phone conversations, read newspapers and other random, realistic acts. You see random characters interacting with each other.

The missions are usually pretty easy, and the storyline tends to drag because each cut scene is very long, and sometimes you just want to play, especially later in the game. However, it has its high points so you can deal with it. There is also less profanity than in GTA: SA, thankfully.
The beef I have with this game is its control complexity. Grand Theft Auto used to be a game you could pick right up and everyone could enjoy. The new controls take forever to get used to, so that its really hard to play with friends who don't have the game right away. I frankly don't like the new handling much (it is much more difficult to drive and walk.) However, once you learn the controls they actually allow you to be much more free, as you can now hide behind objects Gears of War style.

I also greatly dislike the new police system. It makes no sense. When you get a star against you, there is a "circle" of police coverage. In theory, when you get outside of the flashing circle, the police will leave you alone after awhile. Half of the time though, a cop is around the edge and you have to start all over again, so you tend to spend forever escaping from a minor traffic accident. I think Saints Row had the perfect police response, and GTA is a little too sensitive for me.

Sound/Music: 8/10
Vice City was so great because there was so much music you have heard before. Frankly, there is 3 or 4 songs in this game that I had heard before, and the music isn't as... well versed. There is a lot of decent stuff on it, and the talk radio is as entertaining as ever. The sounds are great, especially the breaking class and gun noise.

Extras: 10/10
...And if I was corny enough I would give it an 11 or 12. Yes its that good. You can watch television (which is very entertaining) and the clubs and such I have discussed before. The side missions, hidden packages, and more that you really should play the game, and I won't give it all away.

Such a detailed, intense and realistic. Every flaw in the game is small, but the bigs are all there, and its terrific!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)