Review by Ignoranc3

"So many little things can make an already good game great!"

Grand Theft Auto has always been a fun game. GTA 3 really set the standards, back when it came out, for an open world. It was fun being able to run around between missions, killing people at will, escaping the law. But that was all you could do. With GTA: Vice city and GTA: San Andreas, much more has been added to make the experience even closer to being a realistic game.

With GTA 4, I knew that there were going to be graphical improvements, but that's obvious. I hoped for a better targeting system, maybe a little more to the scope of things you decided. After about an hour of playing, I can happily say that the Grand Theft Auto series has taken a turn for the better.

Graphics - The graphics are top notch. They aren't the best around because of the fact that there is so much to the game, but they are nothing to laugh at. The character's mouths move almost perfectly in sync with the word being said, reflections, the car models, the water, blood splatters and car damage; just some of the great improvements made. I'll be giving Graphics a nice 9/10.

Sound - As good as ever. Gunshots, car crashes, people screaming, the actor's dialogue. Sound has never been a problem and seems that it never will be. 10/10.

Game play - Absolutely outstanding. I have had a ball with the combat controls (although sometimes a little slow on aiming) I'm so glad that they found a good scheme. The new cover technique is also great because now, when I'm in a gang fight, it feels like I'm actually in the middle of it myself, and I'm pretty sure anyone would be hiding behind cover and firing away. 10/10.

Story - Fantastic. I've found myself wondering a few times why things are happening, but the story plays out very well. I love all the quirks of each character. Roman's funny way of getting in trouble, Brucie's "I'm really tough and cool" attitude. It really feels like I'm playing a movie. 9/10

Little things - And last, the little things that made the gaming experience just that much cooler. Being able to fly out of your windows when your ride stops suddenly. Stairs and how your character runs down them as if he were actually going down stairs, the whole cellphone, dating, being able to point your gun at people in a car and they get out as if it's a hold up, the different animations of jacking a car like when you are holding a weapon, breaking into a locked car and hot-wiring it, Climbing and roof top jumping, destructable cover, and so many other things.

Overall, 9/10. I recommend anyone who owns a 360 or a PS3 to buy this game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/01/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)