Review by Viper619

"Viper619's GTA IV Review"

Introduction -

Hello, I am Viper619 and I will be reviewing Grand Theft Auto IV. This game is one of the most anticipated games that will come out this year and is perhaps the most anticipated out of all the other entries in the series.

Gameplay (9/10) -

GTA IV adapts a more realistic approach to controls in the game than previous entries. For example, the melee combat is heavily improved from the other GTA games which makes fighting more of an interactive experience. Also, the targeting which has been a problem in the past has been reworked so that you have a choice on whether you want to be in free aim mode or on lock on mode. Whichever is appropriate for any given situation.

The driving has been given the realistic touch as well. However it takes a bit of learning to get the hang of it. For example, braking around corners takes a long time to get the hang off. And even if you do, you may experience some problems that may have you thinking about throwing your controller on the floor in a very violent manner. However you do not want to do that, because you want to play this game

Story (10/10) -

In the past games, you were given control of a man who has either been released from prison or has some work to do to climb the social ladder and will do anything to reach that goal. That doesn't sound too exciting does it? Well in GTA IV, you are Niko Bellic. A war veteran who has come to Liberty City to find opportunities and escape his old life of death and fear.

Niko as a character is more humble, more respectable, and more knowledgeable about what is going on around him. You care for him. Every bump in the road that he experiences, you feel it too as if you were Niko Bellic himself, and not many games can give you that feeling. I won't give away anything story plots or anything, but if you were looking for a game that contains a Hollywood like story, then look no further.

Graphics/Sound (10/10) -

The graphics in this game is amazing. Not only did I feel like I was playing a next gen game, but I also felt like I was apart of a separate world. Rockstar really have outdone themselves with this game, given this new technology in video games, they are able to include so many things. They could always just give you photo realistic character models, ultra realistic cityscapes, and leave it at that. But instead, they added so many little things that makes the city come alive like no other game.

The sound in the game also contributes to this factor as well. If you just turn off the radio (which has a remarkable selection of songs to choose from) for a second, then you can hear the engines of by passing cars roar by, you can hear the ringtones of several bypassers going off and also their conversation. You can even go to the beach and just listen to the waves crashing into the shore. Unbelievable.

Play Time/Replayability (10/10) -

Like any other Grand Theft Auto games, you can expect alot of time to be spent. The main story takes about 20 to 25 hours to complete. But after that, there is so much more to do that can easily boost that number up a bit. Bowling, Strip Clubs, Pool, Darts, Dating, Surfing the Web, Watching TV, and many many more. It is nearly limitless.

Final Recommendation -

All in all, this a great game. If I were willing to bet money on this (not that I would), I would say that this game is an early contender for Game of The Year. It's that good.
---------
PROS:
+ Amazing graphics, amazing story, amazing sound, amazing everything!
+ The replaybility is nearly limitless
+ Early contender for Game of The Year

CONS:
- The controls takes some getting used to.
---------
THE VERDICT:
A 10 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)