Review by TearsofBlood179

"More Than a Game, it's a Full Experience."

Grand Theft Auto: IV was an amazing game. I can hardly believe that I got this for $60. However, it wasn't what I was expecting at all. Having followed the GTA series since Grand Theft Auto: III, I was really impressed with everything this game has had to offer. When I got it, I expected something not as fun and more monotonous like the previous GTA games. Let's see the breakdown.

Story - 9/10

The game's story has the best story of any of the GTA games yet. GTA: III was just too random and had no real point for everything you did. GTA: Vice City was just too old and corny for me, and GTA: San Andreas was too "Gangsta'" for me. You follow the life of a Russian immigrant, fresh off of the boat named Niko Bellic. Very interesting character. He has come to see his cousin in Liberty City, who claims that he has made it big and is living the life. Niko has also come to Liberty City to start his life over. How you get so easily involved in a life of crime, I'll never know! The only downside to it is, of course, the constant profanity, but I believe that it's not quite as bad as GTA: San Andreas.

Graphics - 10/10

What can I say? They were beautiful. The damage on the cars, perfect. The character models, amazing. The city, at night or day, fantastic. Those of us who have been playing GTA for a while know that graphics were never a big asset for the series. San Andreas was their last title, and sometimes the character's mouths didn't even move when they spoke. No more, GTA 4 is up there, graphics wise, with many other big titles. My favorite part is still the cars, though. Oh, violence effects amaze me as well. Blasting someone with a shotgun just hasn't got old yet. Heheh. Sometimes, blood even splatters on the edges of the screen. Always gives me a little jolt.

Controls - 8/10

By now, I've gotten used to the controls, but they were HORRIBLE at the start. At least on the Xbox 360. Those of us who've played past GTAs, we know that X (A on Xbox) is to accelerate. Not now, they've totally changed the control scheme. Now you accelerate with the Right Trigger and Back up with the left. (May be different for PS3, I don't own one!) Handbraking is utterly useless, which means I don't go very fast in any car at anytime. Aside from all of that, the controls for combat also took a little adjustment. However, now that I have them down, I have no problems at all whatsoever, aside from the handbraking, which I still haven't had to use yet, anyway. However, they are very realistic, and I enjoy it.

Gameplay - 10/10

This is what GTA was always about. Having the ability to do so many things. It has gone through the roof in GTA: 4. Friends, dating, you're able to go on the Internet, you have a phone in which you can customize and call your friends up with and even start multiplayer matches. You can now go inside of your hideouts. Listen to your radio (Can't change the station, though.) or watch TV. The television shows are hilarious. There's a nice variety of clothes.

The city itself is huge. There are hidden things to find, just like all the past games. You can play a wide variety of games like pool, bowling, darts, and even a surprisingly fun Tetris-style arcade game called "QUB3D." There are theatres, strip clubs, bars, all interactive and enjoyable. You are even able to execute particular enemies. Can't forget the missions, though. They're fun. I always get the urge to replay them, because they're just amazingly fun. You're able to get drunk, and when you drive, the controls are insane and the cops will try to pull you over.

Ever wanted to go crashing through the front windshield of your car...? Probably not, however, somehow, it's amazing amounts of fun to watch your character go flying out of his car and bash his head on the wall you just ran into. There is simply so much to do. Needless to say, I am thoroughly impressed by every aspect of the gameplay.

Sound - 9/10

The sounds were amazing. All of them. The guns sounded good. Much better than past GTA games. You had a great variety of radio stations, but there were few songs for each. The talk shows (They have more than one now.) are hilarious. I think I liked Chatterbox FM from GTA: III better, but despite that I was laughing as I was driving to the next place I wanted to go.

Buy this game. Really. It's completely worth the money. As long as you aren't easily offended, you'll love it. Yes, there is questionable content. It is a game your baby brother probably shouldn't play, or even watch you play. However, that's the nature of games today. Aside from the profanity, though, I see no reason someone would dislike this game... Unless you're racist toward Russians or have a phobia toward cars or perhaps your epileptic... All quite possible... Oh well.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)