Review by satinangora

"Grand Theft Auto 4. So good, even Jack Thompson is playing it."

When I first heard all the hype for Grand Theft Auto 4, I merely brushed it off, as I wasn't a fan of the series until just recently. I was convinced by a user on Random Insanity to pick up this game on the release date. It was certainly $60 well spent.

Gameplay
This game is what you would call, a "sandbox game". Which pretty much mean you can do whatever you want, when you want. That's pretty much my favorite part of the game. It's a formula that's perfect for GTA. There's a whole array of weapons, pistol, assault rifles, RPGs, and many others for you to dominate anything in your path with. Obviously, since this is a GTA game, there's plenty of vehicles for you to "acquire". Ah, the fond memories I have of fleeing from Liberty City's finest in a city bus. My only gripe is the way you have to shoot while driving (holding down LB and using the Right Stick to aim) but, it's a necessary evil.

Story
This game follows the story of Niko Bellic, a Serbian veteran of the Bosnian War, who comes to Liberty City in search of the American Dream. He arrives to his cousin Roman, only to find that he has lied about his "amazing" life in America. Now, I can't really say much more without giving away the plot so, I'll just say that this is on of the best stories in a video game that I've seen in a long time.

Graphics/Music
Liberty City is gorgeous. Plain and simple. The character designs are also quite realistic (Niko has beer belly lol) but, it makes the characters seem more human, if you will. The car designs are also pretty realistic, although the guys at Rockstar have given them new names. Most of the music in-game is presented via radio stations while you're riding around in a vehicle. The songs played are by real artists of all genres, which in my opinions is a really nice touch.

Playtime/Replayability
One could easily log 50+ hours on this game, there's just so much to do, ever after you finish the story! Although I'm still not sure if you CAN stop playing. Heck, even if you aren't actually doing anything, it's still fun to rampage through Liberty City.

Final Recommendation
Buy this game, it's worth the $60. It's near impossible to put down after you start. If you do rent it, then you probably won't get to experience everything this amazing game has to offer.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/15/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)