Review by seRIOusly_kool

"Still the game you love just with a little less than before."

For years Rockstar has given the fans of Grand Theft Auto what they want--the freedom do almost anything without any real-life repercussions. From driving your first Banshee in Grand Theft Auto III to flying your first helicopter in Grand Theft Auto Vice City to swimming for the first time in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto has always been a sandbox favorite.

Grand Theft Auto IV, the newest game in the Grand Theft Auto franchise, was released in 2008 with so much hype (especially because of the delay), Rockstar could've just sold the game case and manual and fans would be happy for a while--yes, it looked that amazing. Grant Theft Auto IV is set in Liberty City but with a make-over that's breathtaking--a dark, seedy underworld with an extraordinary nightlife.

The controls are easy to learn--well, for me at least. The cover-system is mediocre at best--blind firing is not that fun when you actually have a cross hair there. The driving is excellent--I admit, it was a bit troubling at first when I was chasing someone but now I'm in love with it. It's fun, and very realistic.

The physics aren't too bad, either. I love shooting people by their open doors and having them get pushed back with bullets flying everywhere--way too cool. The AI is decent... I mean, it can use some work but nothing too much--it's always cool to be in a fight in front of a cop and the guy gets either gunned downed or arrested.

The story was a bit messy in the end but in the middle and in the beginning, it's terrific. There are quite a few twists in it which make most fans of epic storylines go crazy! It doesn't take the whole "rags to riches" turn (unfortunately), but a more "rags to... eh... let's just say, towels" way. Money becomes useless after about half of the storyline but it's still fun to do missions--especially during the mob family missions. Though it becomes repetitive after a while, if you actually take the time to watch the cutscenes, you'd be surprised at how much more into the game you'll get. Grand Theft Auto IV isn't like the other Grand Theft Auto games in which messing around is the main thing about the game, this time, the story is the main thing. So just do the story... please.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10

The sounds of the explosions and gunfire (or should I say "funfire"... never mind) are great. I mean really... who can resist blowing up helicopters while hearing the sounds of the bullets hit the ground around you? It's so beast! The voice-overs are pretty well done, as well. Normally games can be ruined with cheesy lines but I didn't find too many cheesy lines in this game.

And nothing beats turning the every sound off and taking a helitour at night while listening to Summer Madness by Kool & the Gang--talk about getting high off of life. The visuals are THAT great at night.

Play Time/Replayability: 6/10

For the first go around, Grand Theft Auto IV is awesome--yes, I love the word "awesome". But after beating the story, the game does get a bit boring (especially those who don't have Xbox Live or PSN). There aren't a lot of fun features to do in this game. Getting drunk is fun... but you have to be with a friend--kind of boring. I mean, in real life, it's fun as hell... but on a video game and where your buzz lasts one game hour... it kinda sucks.

The comedy shows aren't that entertaining and the cabaret club is... well, a few minutes of snorfest.

The cheats aren't that awesome in the game either--just a few basic car cheats and the always favored health/armor cheat but none of the notorious pedestrian effecting cheats, unfortunately.

The only real things to do are to beat the game 100% or have rampages (which indeed are better than the past Grand Theft Autos but very boring after a while).

Final Recommendation:

This game is a must buy--even if it's a bit boring, any game is great to go back to after a while (hell, I just re-bought the first Syphon Filters to play them again). And if you hate all of the Grand Theft Autos, just rent it to at least get a taste of it, mmmk?

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)