Review by seRlOusly_kool

"Once again, a solid GTA."

Grand Theft Auto is considered by many to be the greatest series in the history of gaming. The most notable feature in recent Grand Theft Autos has been the freedom to do whatever the hell you want, whenever the hell you want. With the classic sandbox gameplay that we all know and love, this year Grand Theft Auto IV burst on to the scene. This was probably the most hyped Grand Theft Auto of all time. They didn't need the awesome commercial that San Andreas had or the amazing soundtrack that Vice City had to build the hype. All they needed were the loyal Grand Theft Auto fans and the legacy of the previous installments in the series to hype this one up. Now the main question in everyone's mind is, did it live up to the hype?

The gameplay in GTA IV has an all new cover system, which I have to say isn't that great. Honestly, it's pretty mediocre if you ask me. Now the driving in this game may be the most controversial feature of gameplay. You either love it or you hate it. Me? I'm absolutely in love with it. It's very realistic, which is why it's a love/hate thing. It's not your typical Need for Speed or Midnight Club crap. It's still very realistic and a lot of fun.

Now as far as the physics go, they're not too bad. There are a lot of cool things that can be done. As for the AI, I can't say too much about it. It's not horrible, but it's nothing special. The cop system is very strict. There won't be a cop in sight and if you jack a car, you get a star. That doesn't happen all of the time but it happens more often than it should.

I love the story in this game. What stands out in this game from the other GTA's is that the story plays a MUCH bigger part in this game. There isn't nearly as much messing around. This may not sound great but it's actually pretty cool, and it's something different. You don't really get rich in this game either. One thing I loved are the cut-scenes. They get you much more interested in the story than the mission, itself does. You also don't really need a lot of money during the story. I love all of the swerves and twists in the storyline too. Very, very entertaining. Good job on the storyline Rockstar.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10

The sound effects for this game are absolutely perfect. Very realistic too, like if you blow up a helicopter, you can hear bullets hit the ground around you -- Amazing! The vehicles sound pretty good, themselves too. And long-time GTA players will be surprised to hear that the voice-overs are actually good! Great, in fact.

Now as far as graphics go, off the page for a GTA game. No blocky-type characters, not a lot of repetitive houses, and the voice-overs are synced quite well. So when the people are talking, it's not like Speed Racer, lol.

Play Time/Replayability: 6/10

This is my main knock on the game. For the first time around, it's awesome. It's especially great to see some new changes in the GTA series. I don't have a PS3, so I'm assuming that online is the same on PSN as it is on XBL. Online really isn't all that great and the single player, after you beat the story, gets quite boring. There aren't near as many cheats to mess around with as there were in the previous games. I guess beating the game 100% is the only goal to have fun with after you beat it.

Final Recommendation:

For GTA fans, definite must-buy. If you've never played a GTA, it's a great rent and you'll probably decide to buy it anyways.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/05/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)