Review by Titan343

"Flawed but Spectacular"

I want to begin by saying that I can almost understand why some people can score this game so poorly. There are glitches that have no business being there, and some of the story lines could have been fleshed out a little more.

That being said, this game in unbelievable.

The graphics are unlike anything I've seen. Standing in the middle of the GTA version of Times Square just makes you want to stare in awe at the level of detail and the massive world around you that seems to be paying no attention you whatsoever -- until you whip out your RPG and start taking out taxis. The cars are beautiful and, even though it takes a while to get used to it, the advanced driving makes chases an even more enjoyable experience, as you actually have to be a skilled driver to get around a two, three, or four-star police chase. The change to the police chase, a circle that is displayed on your HUD map shows where the police are making it a little easier to avoid them, but only if your skilled enough to get around (or through) them.

The weapons system is much better than before as well. There may not as many weapons as there were in San Andreas, but the system that allows both free shooting and precise shooting and moving between targets is much less complicated. The best part about the new system is the drive-by shooting system, which is new almost totally free, and not limited to a side view of the car that ends up leaving your vehicle rear ending the one in front of you and missing your target like in San Andreas.

The single player mission is a totally revamped system. The player must make life or death decisions that I actually found myself wrestling with, a handgun pointed at the chest of a man that I really want to kill, and ultimately walking away. The characters that our pro/antagonist, Niko, works with are great characters, and we actually see their troubles become bigger and bigger as the game goes on. Also, we see Niko, a man who only wanted to live the American dream, get enveloped inside a corrupt America and struggle within that system trying to found his way out and find his way to a man he has hunted most of his adult life.

Even with the glitches and design flaws with the system, and they are minor, the game is beautiful. I can't wait to play it again.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)