Review by BlackbeltB

"As expected, a good game"

This is the third GTA game I've played so far (the others were GTA III and Vice City) and once again it failed to disappoint me.

Graphics- 8/10
What I've seen in all GTA games were terrible graphics due to the huge city and setting. The graphics have improved much more even with a bigger setting in this game. Some animations are awful, and the eyes sometimes look lifeless. The emotions on the character's faces were just average enough to see how they're feeling.

Story- 9/10
Out of the two GTA games I've played, this has the best story. Basically the main character is an ex-Russian military soldier named Niko Bellic who was persuaded to come to America by his cousin, Roman. In a short period of time, Niko soon found out that the life in America Roman told him was all lies. He also finds out that Roman gets into A LOT of trouble and Niko gets involved with most of his problems. So going through the game, Niko will face multiple conflicts getting him into a lot of trouble.

Sound- 9/10
First off, the soundtracks are just plain great to listen to. The soundtracks in the game have a wide variety going from pop and rock to rap and old school rap, there is songs coming from a lot of genres. While driving a car, you'll still have the radio stations to listen to just like the other GTA games (I THINK). The songs they put in the radio stations come from actual musicians (I believe) and there's radio stations that each have their own specific genre. Now, what to say about the sound effects. It's not completely realistic but still way above average. Last to talk about in this section is the voice acting which I loved. Everything the characters say will never be corny or too dramatic. I loved Roman's act the best because of his scared emotions.

Gameplay- 10/10
The same GTA game as always with its whole car jacking, shooting, cop stars, and such but with some improvements. The driving was well improved and feels much more realistic. I remember in the other GTAs where you can just make a simple turn with no problem but in here you have to do a little brake or skids if you want a good enough turn not to crash into anything or face another direction. Another feature added was taking cover. While in cover you'll be able to still see enemies ahead of you and when shooting you obviously pop out. But once you're done shooting but still in cover, then your character will pop back into cover. There will be a lot of missions to do assigned from different people that obviously usually involve a car jacking or assassinating someone. It's all good.

Replayability- 9/10
After beating the game, you would might want to 100% complete it by doing side missions and other jobs. There's also plenty of good online options. I guarantee this game will lost you a long time.

Overall Score- 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/29/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)